How did you find your job? (1 Viewer)

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
Depends on the context of the wording. You need to remember to align what you want from them to what they want from you.
For a cadetship or any form of internship i would. Gaining experience is a major factor to apply for this type of role. However as you said it all depends on the type of job.

sirable1

HSC
Uni Grad
Fuck I remember applying for a whole heap of jobs (without experience) after HSC.

The only people who responded was Noggi/Moochi and all Marketing Sales firms.

watapple

HSC
I applied before HSC was over, the interview was straight after my last exam
took 2 days to receive feedback from one store and 2 other store declined
interview within a week
Orientation within a week
start job within 2.5 weeks
so in total around 3 - 4 weeks

so now i had 4 shifts in 2 weeks so far with a total of 12 hours as I'm expensive thats prob why they put me with less shifts and less hours while on trainee

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
For a cadetship or any form of internship i would. Gaining experience is a major factor to apply for this type of role. However as you said it all depends on the type of job.
But what distinguishes a good answer from a mediocre or crappy answer? Everyone knows that this is about gaining experience, but many people focus too much on what the job offers you and forget to say what you can offer them. You can't be brutally honest if you want the job.

If I were a recruiter, I only care about what you can offer my company (in exchange for offering you the experience and paying you for it). When you say 'I want experience' or 'It gives me a good opportunity to develop my skills' etc in answer to 'Why do you want this job?', it comes across as selfish and certainly doesn't distinguish you from the rest of the crowd when there are plenty of others who are more passionate about the position than you are. What can you give to me that is worth the money I am willing to pay you?

A better answer would be something like (say for a tutoring position) 'From my experiences in ......., I have developed into a person who enjoys helping others. Given that ...(name of tutoring company)... prides itself in the success of its students, I believe this position will provide an opportunity for me to bring my passion for helping others to the team and am committed to helping the students achieve their goals.'

This statement links what you are after (experience/opportunity) to what you can offer them (and also provides evidence of this attribute from past experience), which is viewed more favourably by recruiters. Basically in lamens terms the statement from a recruiter's point of view reads 'I love helping others and I notice that your company is all about helping students succeed, therefore I can show your company how much I love helping others and help your students succeed as a result'

In job applications, you should be thinking of the jobs as an opportunity to demonstrate your skills and knowledge, not as a platform to develop them (whether or not that is the reality is a different story).

Last edited:

laura-jayne14

HSC
Uni Grad
I started looking for jobs after I turned 15. I don't remember how many jobs I'd applied for, but I went to five interviews before I got my first job. I was finally accepted at a new KFC that was opening. Beforehand, I got a rejection e-mail that said I wasn't successful. I was sick of being turned down so I e-mailed the mamager and then she rang me and said that the e-mail was wrong and I actually got the job. All I can say is, show some initative... I'f I hadn't of asked from feedback from the employer, I might not of had a job. Worked there two years now - couldn't be happier! :)

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
But what distinguishes a good answer from a mediocre or crappy answer? Everyone knows that this is about gaining experience, but many people focus too much on what the job offers you and forget to say what you can offer them. You can't be brutally honest if you want the job.

If I were a recruiter, I only care about what you can offer my company (in exchange for offering you the experience and paying you for it). When you say 'I want experience' or 'It gives me a good opportunity to develop my skills' etc in answer to 'Why do you want this job?', it comes across as selfish and certainly doesn't distinguish you from the rest of the crowd when there are plenty of others who are more passionate about the position than you are. What can you give to me that is worth the money I am willing to pay you?

A better answer would be something like (say for a tutoring position) 'From my experiences in ......., I have developed into a person who enjoys helping others. Given that ...(name of tutoring company)... prides itself in the success of its students, I believe this position will provide an opportunity for me to bring my passion for helping others to the team and am committed to helping the students achieve their goals.'

This statement links what you are after (experience/opportunity) to what you can offer them (and also provides evidence of this attribute from past experience), which is viewed more favourably by recruiters. Basically in lamens terms the statement from a recruiter's point of view reads 'I love helping others and I notice that your company is all about helping students succeed, therefore I can show your company how much I love helping others and help your students succeed as a result'

In job applications, you should be thinking of the jobs as an opportunity to demonstrate your skills and knowledge, not as a platform to develop them (whether or not that is the reality is a different story).
Very helpful, i'll take this into consideration when i'm applying for jobs now.

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC
I started looking for jobs after I turned 15. I don't remember how many jobs I'd applied for, but I went to five interviews before I got my first job. I was finally accepted at a new KFC that was opening. Beforehand, I got a rejection e-mail that said I wasn't successful. I was sick of being turned down so I e-mailed the mamager and then she rang me and said that the e-mail was wrong and I actually got the job. All I can say is, show some initative... I'f I hadn't of asked from feedback from the employer, I might not of had a job. Worked there two years now - couldn't be happier! :)
Lmao how can you be so happy working at KFC. I mean fast food isn't bad..but like..you know..

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC
I applied before HSC was over, the interview was straight after my last exam
took 2 days to receive feedback from one store and 2 other store declined
interview within a week
Orientation within a week
start job within 2.5 weeks
so in total around 3 - 4 weeks

so now i had 4 shifts in 2 weeks so far with a total of 12 hours as I'm expensive thats prob why they put me with less shifts and less hours while on trainee
4 shifts is quite good. They might be preferring someone else who knows more at the same pay. Once they know you know how to run things yourself,etc.. it'll be no problems giving you more hours. I average about 20-25 hours now after HSC,I know some girls at the front who are pretty incompetent or just plain slow,but numbers>skills so <(-_-)>

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC

Unknowingly doing the right thing! :haha:

Thank you based Trebla

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)