How do course preferences work in UAC? (1 Viewer)

krnofdrg

Mq Law Student :)
HSC
Uni Grad
How do the 9 preferences in UAC work? Will I get 9 letters/offers for the courses i put in my 9 preferences in UAC?

Selador

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
You only get ONE offer per round.

This will be for the highest preference which is above the cut-off.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
When UAC reaches your ATAR they will offer you the highest preference you still have available e.g. if your ATAR is 50 you mightn't get an offer at all - as all your 9 preferences might be full - while another student with the same ATAR might still get their first preference because it isn't full.

They allocate students to courses according to their ATAR starting at the top. The universities have also told them how many places there are in each course.

So if a uni says there are 100 places in your first preference and 100 people with higher ATAR's than you have it as their first preference then they will all get it and you will miss out on your first preference.

Last edited:

krnofdrg

Mq Law Student :)
HSC
Uni Grad
When UAC reaches your ATAT they will offer you highest preference you still have available e.g. if your ATAR is 50 you mightn't get an offer at all - as all your 9 preferences might be full - while another student with the same ATAR might still get their first preference because it isn't full.

They allocate students to courses according to their ATAR starting at the top. The universities have also told them how many places there are in each course.

So if a uni says there are 100 places in your first preference and 100 people with higher ATAR's than you have it as their first preference then they will all get it and you will miss out on your first preference.
Ah k! Thank you! i put International studies @ UNSW although i'm 0.15 of the cutoff as 1st. Hope i can get in >.<

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
I hope you do as well - let us all know won't you.

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
When UAC reaches your ATAR they will offer you highest preference you still have available e.g. if your ATAR is 50 you mightn't get an offer at all - as all your 9 preferences might be full - while another student with the same ATAR might still get their first preference because it isn't full.

That scares me when the offers come out :(

shakky

HSC
What if you change your mind after the offer is made? For example if I wanted to do Medical science at usyd, and I got a main round offer, but then i decided i wanted to do science/arts a day later, which was my second pref, also at usyd. Would it be a change in uac or an internal transfer at usyd?

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
What if you change your mind after the offer is made? For example if I wanted to do Medical science at usyd, and I got a main round offer, but then i decided i wanted to do science/arts a day later, which was my second pref, also at usyd. Would it be a change in uac or an internal transfer at usyd?
You would have to wait for the next round. In a situation like this, you would move Sci/Arts to first preference and either move med science down or totally off your list.

shakky

HSC
You would have to wait for the next round. In a situation like this, you would move Sci/Arts to first preference and either move med science down or totally off your list.
Thanks :D. But, sorry to be totally annoying with my questions, but just say if i get an early round offer for medSc and I accepted and enrolled, could i then remove it from my pref list and possibly get a main round offer for Sci/Arts? Or would I be removed from UAC database soon as i enroll/accept an offer?

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks :D. But, sorry to be totally annoying with my questions, but just say if i get an early round offer for medSc and I accepted and enrolled, could i then remove it from my pref list and possibly get a main round offer for Sci/Arts? Or would I be removed from UAC database soon as i enroll/accept an offer?
Your university applications are valid for all rounds. If you wanted Sci/Arts, then I would make sure that you put it as your first preference and then move Medical Science down if that's how you've arranged it.

Essentially, if you got your first preference, they will stop sending offers because it is assumed that you're satisfied. If there is a change in your list and a new degree program is recognised to be favoured by yourself and you reach its requirements, then a new offer will be sent.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)