how do i analyse a film (1 Viewer)

HSC
i have an assessment coming up where i have to analyse blade runner and the handmaid's tale. my question is "How effectively does speculative fiction explore universal themes and issues relevant to human experiences?"

the assessment says i have to look at:
  • The public and private worlds represented in the texts
  • The way composers of these texts have crafted speculative narratives to reflect the context (including social, cultural and historical values) in which each text was created, including specific contextual concerns
  • The warnings and lessons for society explored in the speculative texts and how narratives serve to shape our understanding and engagement with the world
i can't even remember the last time i analysed a film 😭, so i'm not sure how to approach the task. does anybody have any tips or resources??? anything helps :)

liamkk112

HSC
i have an assessment coming up where i have to analyse blade runner and the handmaid's tale. my question is "How effectively does speculative fiction explore universal themes and issues relevant to human experiences?"

• The way composers of these texts have crafted speculative narratives to reflect the context (including social, cultural and historical values) in which each text was created, including specific contextual concerns
  • The warnings and lessons for society explored in the speculative texts and how narratives serve to shape our understanding and engagement with the world
i can't even remember the last time i analysed a film 😭, so i'm not sure how to approach the task. does anybody have any tips or resources??? anything helps :)
i had a film for my common mod text in hsc, i'd recommend:
- knowing dialogue, it's still very good to have this as a core part of your evidence
- scratching up on film techniques, like shots (mid shot, wide shot etc), colour palettes, mise en scene etc, this will probably form the other half-75% of your evidence
- try to watch the film a lot of times so you can visualise the scenes well, this way if u forget quotes then u can always describe a scene
- make sure you know how things evolve throughout the film really well -> usually you'll be writing about how a character/idea/whatever and how they change due to different things, in this case how the themes and issues are explored from different perspectives
- avoid describing things too much - u need to do so to provide context, but make sure for every sentence of description, there's some techniques included and at least 2-3 bits of analysis afterwards, otherwise you're just recounting in the eyes of markers

aqwerty13402

HSC

OH MY GOD BLADE RUNNER IS SO FUCKING BAD I DID THAT FOR MY ENGLISH EXTENSION 1 ASSIGNMENT LAST YEAR

HSC
OH MY GOD BLADE RUNNER IS SO FUCKING BAD I DID THAT FOR MY ENGLISH EXTENSION 1 ASSIGNMENT LAST YEAR
nah fr i'm so glad it's not just me 😭 the cuts were so confusing, the plotline lost me like halfway, and the movie had super sexist/racist vibes. i'm not excited to analyse it. what was your assessment ab for english ext?

aqwerty13402

HSC
nah fr i'm so glad it's not just me 😭 the cuts were so confusing, the plotline lost me like halfway, and the movie had super sexist/racist vibes. i'm not excited to analyse it. what was your assessment ab for english ext?
i actually have no idea. It was an essay, thats all i really remember. We had to answer some question using Maze Runner, Nosedive (Netflix Blackmirror episode) and Brave New World

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)