How do I even begin studying for IPT? (1 Viewer)

50pogchamp51

HSC
Hi,
I'm doing IPT accelerated and in year 9 almost everyone in our class didn't really learn much, partly because our teacher was a very nice marker and told us everything that would be on the test. Right now I feel overwhelmed because there's so much content in the Samuel Davis prelim and I haven't gone through like anything.

Any tips to study IPT or study in general?

Thanks

TheBrutux168

HSC
IMO, most of prelim content isn't too important for the HSC IPT since you essentially learn them again anyway. The most important thing I would say is to have a very deep understanding of the 7 information processes. For any given information system, you should be able to describe the information processes within the context of it.

For general study, having a concise set of study notes according to the syllabus is IMO very important. So start building these set of study notes. IMO I don't think it is too important to have to cover the prelim content. Just build your HSC notes instead and maybe find a set of prelim notes online and read that. Do note that Davis textbooks are probably far more in depth than you need for the HSC. But since you still have the time, I think it is worth it to cover the content in depth. Maybe read one chapter a day, write notes for its associated dotpoints and then do the exercise.

Last edited:

50pogchamp51

HSC
Thanks for your tips. Would you recommend any other hsc books other than samuel davis? I heard excel was quite good.
Ill definitely use your advice :)

TheBrutux168

HSC
The Excel textbook is very concise. It's good for covering a lot of content in a short time. The flashcards at the back are also very useful. It's a good textbook, but often times I find it lacking in detail and use Davis to fill the gaps

50pogchamp51

HSC
Ok, good to know. I think I'll memorise the glossary of the Samuel Davis prelim book and go a little in-depth with the processes just so I can say I have an understanding of prelim, then I'll start study for the HSC.
Again, thanks for your tips

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
Can I ask if you don't mind.

Does anyone actually enjoy IPT?

I found it sooooo boring that even though Software is harder I got a 76 for IPT and 95 for SDD

Last edited:

TheBrutux168

HSC
Can I ask if you don't mind.

Does anyone actually enjoy IPT?

I found it sooooo boring that even though Software is harder I got a 76 for IPT and 95 for SDD :/
TBH I found IPT harder than software. There was just so much stuff to memorise. I did find the HSC content quite boring and basic however. It got a lot more interesting when I started reading deeper into the material and beyond the syllabus.

50pogchamp51

HSC
If I was in year 11, IPT definitely wouldn't be a subject I would pick. Honestly, I only chose it because it was offered as an accelerated course at my school. Some parts of the content seem interesting, but there's definitely a lot of bland stuff.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)