How do I finish the 3U exam? (1 Viewer)

khfreakau

HSC
Take this guy's advice he's one of the top students for ext 1 and 2 at a school ranked in top 5!
wtf i think i posted that comment in the wrong thread... LOL. either way, explanations for me can sometimes be a bit long winded. as a general rule of thumb:
if the question SPECIFICALLY SAYS "explain why", and it's one mark: it's an easy one mark but it's not one mark you want to lose i generally write as much as i can for these to make sure i get the marks, but never more than 5 lines worth. if you're writing so much for your explanations you're definitely doing something wrong.
IN PARTICULAR, i think it's important to note that your conclusions for longer questions which require lots of working don't need to be that long - just write "hence the coordinates of P are (acostheta, bsintheta)" if the question is "find the coordinates of P" or something like that.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
This talk about explanations is funny because in uni maths, you pretty much have to explain in depth. Like... every step.

Comeeatmebro

HSC
So speed through Q1-5 --> what do I do to overcome silly mistakes???? The number of times a '+' has magically turned into a 'X' or a '-' is uncountable.... how do i avoid these?

AAEldar

Premium Member
HSC
So speed through Q1-5 --> what do I do to overcome silly mistakes???? The number of times a '+' has magically turned into a 'X' or a '-' is uncountable.... how do i avoid these?
Pay close attention when you do speed through.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Practice, and just constant attention to detail. There's really not much you can do, apart from practising picking up these mistakes.

Consider marking other peoples questions.

interesting

HSC
N/A
wtf i think i posted that comment in the wrong thread... LOL. either way, explanations for me can sometimes be a bit long winded. as a general rule of thumb:
if the question SPECIFICALLY SAYS "explain why", and it's one mark: it's an easy one mark but it's not one mark you want to lose i generally write as much as i can for these to make sure i get the marks, but never more than 5 lines worth. if you're writing so much for your explanations you're definitely doing something wrong.
IN PARTICULAR, i think it's important to note that your conclusions for longer questions which require lots of working don't need to be that long - just write "hence the coordinates of P are (acostheta, bsintheta)" if the question is "find the coordinates of P" or something like that.
do you have to write it in words for the conclusion? can't u say P(acostheta,bsintheta)?

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
do you have to write it in words for the conclusion? can't u say P(acostheta,bsintheta)?
You should be able to use pretty much just symbols. Example:

Q. Explain how y = 3, given that x = y, and x - 1 = 2 is true.

A.
x - 1 = 2
x = 3

:. if x = y

y=3

You've explained it in the steps, so it shouldn't near more explanation at the end.

interesting

HSC
N/A

A.
x - 1 = 2
x = 3

y=3

You've explained it in the steps, so it shouldn't near more explanation at the end.
mmokay i get it

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC

A.
x - 1 = 2
x = 3

y=3

Of course the person who originally asked the question should realise that if you're going to go into university level maths - the above is frowned upon somewhat.... there's an emphasis on words and using words to illustrate what you are doing exactly.

Which makes sense because the higher up mathematically you go, there are often several ways to get to a solution and if you use an unfamiliar method - and don't explain it and just use symbols - a marker might just go "wtf i dont get it" even though it sounds perfectly fine to you.

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
If it was a 2 mark explain question - 2 lines at the most. 1 page is ridiculous.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Of course the person who originally asked the question should realise that if you're going to go into university level maths - the above is frowned upon somewhat.... there's an emphasis on words and using words to illustrate what you are doing exactly.

Which makes sense because the higher up mathematically you go, there are often several ways to get to a solution and if you use an unfamiliar method - and don't explain it and just use symbols - a marker might just go "wtf i dont get it" even though it sounds perfectly fine to you.
Yeah of course. But that's not the context here.

hscishard

HSC

Markers are smart enough to follow someone's reasoning regardless on how they express it (assuming the reasoning makes sense). If not then what the fuck they should be

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)