how do i interpret all this info (1 Viewer)

Ghost1788

HSC
Hi i am a yr 12 student and i am interested to applying for the Software Engineering Course but I have no clue how to interpret this page....

http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/programs/2005/3648.html

Can someone help me...also what are the prerequisites for this course *excuse spelling*

I have understood it to be Ext 1 Mathematics and Physics/Chemistry...are there also mark requirements as well if so what are they...

Thanks in advance

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Hi Ghost1788,

Note that prerequisites no longer exist at UNSW. This course does however have Math Ext 1 as "assumed knowledge", meaning that you are not prevented from enrolling if you have not done Ext 1, it is just easier to complete some courses (such as Maths 1A) if it is background knowledge.

[EDIT]: I assume you got your information from the UAC table. Note that this is incorrect.

Last edited:

Ghost1788

HSC
Ok so theres no prerequisites...
1) wat is required of me to get in?
2) how do i interpret the page on my opening post?

I currently do
3U Mathematics
2U Chemistry
2U Physics
2U STD English
2U Software Design and Development
1U Studies of Religion

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
1) All you need to do is get the required UAI (and obviously apply, blah, blah). Your 3U Maths will help (as noted above).

2) Which section of that page?

Ghost1788

HSC
umm....all of it especially regarding the stages and the subjects and the UOC

sunny

meh.
HSC
Ghost1788 said:
umm....all of it especially regarding the stages and the subjects and the UOC
At UNSW a program (eg, Software Engineering) is made up of a collection of subjects. At the completion of those subjects, you will get your degree (Bachelor Of Engineering)

School has 4 terms a year, uni on the other hand has two semesters a year.

Compared to what you do in year 12 for example, you need to do 10 units minimum. At UNSW "normal" load is 24UOC (units of credit). Each subject is worth a certain number of UOC, and each session you would normally do 24UOC, and 48UOC in total for the year.

The majority of subjects are predetermined for you in Software Engineering, but there are some free electives that lets you choose from a selection of subjects.

The term "stage" just means what year you would be. So for example, in Stage 1, you would do all those subjects listed under Stage 1. Finer details of when you do what won't be relevant until later on when you are enrolling at UNSW.

Ghost1788

HSC
o_O thanks Sunny

last question...i think
http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/programs/2005/3648.html said:
Year 1

* INFS1603 Business Data Management (6 UOC)
* INFS1611 Requirements Engineering (3 UOC)
* MATH1081 Discrete Mathematics (6 UOC)
* MATH2400 Finite Mathematics (3 UOC)
* SENG1010 Software Eng Workshop 1A (3 UOC)
* SENG1020 Software Eng Workshop 1B (3 UOC)

And ONE of:

* COMP1011 Computing 1A (6 UOC)
* COMP1711 Higher Computing 1A (6 UOC)

And ONE of:

* MATH1131 Mathematics 1A (6 UOC)
* MATH1141 Higher Mathematics 1A (6 UOC)

And ONE of:

* COMP1021 Computing 1B (6 UOC)
* COMP1721 Higher Computing 1B (6 UOC)

Year 1 - Free Electives (6 UOC)
OK from the quote above i'm guessing that you get to choose 3 electives, assuming i'm right whats the difference between {COMP1011 and COMP1021} and whats the difference between {COMP1711 and COMP1721}.

Apart from the difference in Teacher/Lecturer

I guess that they are the same assuming that you need to do Computing before doing Higher Computing right?

sunny

meh.
HSC
If you look in the handbook and compare COMP1011/COMP1711 and COMP1021/COMP1721, you will find COMP1711 and COMP1721 are referred to as "higher" subjects, ie, they are advanced versions of their "normal" counterparts.

In higher subjects you usually cover more material, and at a faster pace.

So for example, in first year first session, you can choose to do COMP1711 (Higher Computing 1A), OR COMP1011, which is just Computing 1A. Then in second session, you can choose to do Higher 1B (provided you have a Distinction or above from 1A/Higher 1A) or normal 1B.

Ghost1788

HSC
i probably getting ahead of myself but how do you know which level is suitable for you?

Ghost1788

HSC
Thanks for your help sunny and McLake, i'll get back to you 2 if any other queries arise . . . .

Ghost1788

Ghost1788

HSC
lol back again... :D :D

does UNSW accept ..not sure what its called....

where you do 1 year of TAFE and then do the degree at UNSW 2nd year..

I thinks its called a Credit Transfer

Also if they do do you know what TAfe course i need to do to get into software engineering... i am not sure if i will get the UAI I require(90) or 75-85 with MCE, if i scored well in that..

neeja

Marco Polo meows you!
HSC
my advise:
dont do software engineering unless you enjoy data flow diagrams, bullshit, state charts, bullshit, flow of events, ERD's, UML diagrams basically.

do computer science if you like programming and stuff. the first thing you should do after the hsc is: forget everything you learned in software design and development. its all useless.

and then the first things you should do are:
step 1: buy a mac
step 2: install linux
step 3: ?
step 4: profit.

its that simple

and like basically whats on the website is easy to interpret.
the courses are the subjects you are required to take. thats pretty much all you need to know. all other things (like geneds, electives) are chosen by you from like other faculties and stuff.

also a final word: most of the people i know doing software engineering have dropped it and joined computer science and the ones that are left are thinking of dropping. just because it has a higher uai cutoff does not make it a better course.

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
do computer science if you like programming and stuff
That's because these most people you know are mostly 2nd year students?

My comp 1B tutor (who did software engineering) really liked it. The only reason 2nd year and 1st year students don't like seng is because of the amount of documentation they get to do. Compare this to 3rd year, where the seng subjects only require a total of 10 page of documentation for the whole year.

do computer science if you like programming and stuff. the first thing you should do after the hsc is: forget everything you learned in software design and development. its all useless.
Not even. Of course you won't get anything out of software design and development in HSC, because you never really get to develop large scale software there. You'll find software engineering useful when you get to a team of 24+ programmers working on a project.

Anyways, software engineering is so important, that they decided to make a diet subject called "Software Engineering" for all compsci students to take in 3rd year.

Oh and btw, I gained superhuman powers from doing seng

Ghost1788

HSC
after all that..

lol
underthesun said:
Oh and btw, I gained superhuman powers from doing seng
u havent answered my question

Ghost1788 said:

Also if they do do you know what TAfe course i need to do to get into software engineering... i am not sure if i will get the UAI I require(90) or 75-85 with MCE, if i scored well in that..

oh and I dont mind writing documentation..my software design major documentation was in excess of 180 pages and i didnt get to fit in everything..lol

neeja

Marco Polo meows you!
HSC
zoodboog said:
why would you install linux if you had a mac... ???
can someone say dual boot?

that and its running linux on a PowerPC. ie less support hence it proves your greatness over n00bs that just wack in the latest mandrake cd and think they are cool cause it does everything for you.

i dont have to explain myself to you!

gman03

HSC
Ghost1788 said:
lol back again... :D :D

Probably not for Soft Eng

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
I kept hearing that because of a "common first year" program, you can get to any engineering with just 85 UAI or something like that.

I find it interesting that they can summarise all the important (?) parts from ~70 UOC of SENG related courses into a single 6UOC course...
Well, its because you don't get B, and seng3XXX <-- just coding anyways.

Oh and I heard from the higher ups that next year, the IS department would be out of the picture for seng. More object oriented programming? :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)