How do i know if im suitable for architectural studies? (1 Viewer)

Accuracy

HSC
N/A
I have a genuine interest in the aesthetics of buildings but i don't know if this is just a simple interest or if it's worth studying as a degree :(

Anyone studying architecture want to explain what the course generally involves and what are the criterias you think would match a good architecture student?

Also, which uni has more connections to employers - unsw, usyd or uts?

Thanks !

lawstu

HSC
The top of your list is probably what makes you stay there for the long slog and do well and give you what you want (maybe the 'best-for-you' social opportunities, maybe the best profs. or courses, etc.). After that, then consider your future or you'll simply be overwhelmed. However, I'm saying this because all three seem to be of similar standing in the ARCH business.

AFAIK, ARCH students don't need to be frantically applying for clerkships/internships/cadetships/studentships/etc. two years in advance, or at least preparing to do, and competitiveness in the industry isn't that intense. Most ARCH grads, I imagine, do something related to their work, and don't simply apply skills learn to something else, unlike, for instance, law.

I don't know what makes a good or promising ARCH matriculant or a student, but I would think someone who's interested by and passionate about the stuff would be or become a good student and practising architect. Someone with an eye for detail, who has good communication skills, who is optimistic (or realistic?), who is persistent (and/or insane), who is technically minded, who has vision, who has good sketching and computational picture-making (drafting? drawing? visual design? I don't know) skills or the potential to develop them.

Guys, if this is what you want to do, do everything you can and do nothing less. Put your money where your mouth is. See how you go for a while if you're still unsure but don't do this half-hearted or half-arsed. If you come to the epiphany that architecture isn't your shtick, at least you gave it a shot. Maybe take time off, maybe change courses. Hopefully, whatever you do, whether it's this or not, you'll work yourself out as soon as possible. Although you're young, you don't have forever!

Disclaimer: I don't know that much about ARCH, at least the minutiae. My post is neither supposed to be precise nor accurate, and I have not been intimately affiliated with any ARCH faculties, undertaken any ARCH studies, etc.

I'm simply going off by sort of keeping up with things in the world, things I've learnt from others, and from experience. I'm old enough to use "way back" nowadays.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)