How do I study? (1 Viewer)

daniel4592

HSC
Hello, Iam feeling really over whelmed at the moment with this study issue, in other words I dont know how to study.... during my high school time I never studied and now I dont know what to put my time into.
Do I just read over the lecture notes and readings? What do I do ? Im really confussed an am not feeling well from these past few weeks of worrying and I really am considering dropping out of uni.

Bananaberry

HSC
Hello, Iam feeling really over whelmed at the moment with this study issue, in other words I dont know how to study.... during my high school time I never studied and now I dont know what to put my time into.
Do I just read over the lecture notes and readings? What do I do ? Im really confussed an am not feeling well from these past few weeks of worrying and I really am considering dropping out of uni.

There is no need to worry. Yes, uni can be a big change at first, but it honestly is nothing to worry about. Just do what works for you. Read over your notes after uni and try and summarise things to get a grasp of the content. When I was at uni they had study skills sessions and different programs for new students to help them adjust to uni and study. I'd suggest finding out whether these are offered and try them.

chewy123

OAM, FAICD, FAAS, MBBS
HSC
Well, calm down first, it's only the first week and you really don't need to study if you don't feel like it.

Studying can take different forms depending on the subject. Doing tutorial work and readings is the first method of studying. Some courses provides additional sources on webct and you can go over it if you feel comfortable. Past exam questions are also available online or at library website (although you really don't need to look at it until the last few weeks before final). And reading lecture notes and making summary is another basic way of studying...etc.
But really there is no need to rush for the time being, you will eventually develop a method of studying you find most comfortable.

audioxdoll

HSC
I never studied during highschool either... i just did not know how.
But i aggree with above... i think going to tutorials and doing the homework to help you understand is good to start off with.

Andi0390

HSC
Don't worry, I felt really lost in my first year as well. Everyone kept telling how many hours a week you had to study, and how hard it was and I just didn't know how or what to study.

In your first few weeks you are not going to have a full study load. The way you study is going to depend on your course but don't stress out now. Do your readings but don't feel you have to read ahead, you might just overwhelm yourself.

When you have the ability to do assessments (there are usually methods you have to learn before you can do some) then look at your assessments and aim to fully understand the question and then to gather information. Study for you might just be looking up key terms on an online encyclopedia at first. Soon you'll be saying to yourself, "i need to reasearch this guy" or "I need to find out practical examples of this theory" etc and studying will just come.

Of course all courses are different. I just started first year German and my studying is just going over vocabulary and writing it down, and memorising it. Law is currently lots of textbook reading, and English study is reading Othello. Everything is different, just go with the flow and you'll find if you put aside time to read over what you have to do eventually it will all just come together.

daniel4592

HSC
Came back from my 2nd day, and I must say Iam so overwhelmed by everything and Iam nearly certain I will quit before the census cut off date to avoid fees, maybe tafe is more for me.

SpoonSamba

HSC
Just chill brew!

Have a beer before class and chilllllllllllll

first year uni doesnt even matter that much, just go to at least half your lectures write your notes down, start your assignments at least 2 days before theyre due and you will be fine.

FIIIIIIIINE! and once you get into the swing of it youll see how much fun you can have eh!

oly1991

HSC
Yeah i agree the spoonsamba guy. study at the roundhouse and u'll get the best of both worlds.

chewy123

OAM, FAICD, FAAS, MBBS
HSC
please calm my dear op, I remeber I was just like you last yr lol, but look at me, I am still alive and well.
My immediate advice to you is, rest!! hang around with friends, play comp game, relax. The !@#$ers at uni are evil and like to make uni courses seem much harder than it is. The first week you don't even need to do anything academic, just walk around and get acquainted to uni first, if you have tute work just write 1 line for each question and let that go, right or wrong..

I am still a bit puzzled by your worries. Were you spooked by the course outline? Or people looking smarter than you? financial, social issues? I'd be happy to help you out if you be a little bit more specific. Feel free to pm me and I'd be happy to help.
But my advice for now, don't drop, stay calm!!

daniel4592

HSC
Mixture of everything, but I guess i mainly wish I had on old friend in my course, that would help so much, I know meeting new people but its still different to someone you have known for 10 or so years who you can truly rely on even when you have great downs.

chewy123

OAM, FAICD, FAAS, MBBS
HSC
Then I think social issue is indeed the main issue. Like you, I had mixed emotions during the first semester, I didn't know whether it was the work or the travelling or the social life that kept me down. But by the time you get your transcript after sem 1 and pass everything, you will feel that the work is not really as hard as it seemed at first.
Anyway, friendships will take time to develop, since a lot of people are just as nervous as you, you'd probably need to be a bit more proactive when finding new friends. For the time being, I am sure you can still contact your old friends through msn or outings..etc. to share your blues with and being in the same boat, I am sure they'd be happy help. The transition period is always the toughest and the structure of your social life will inevitably change drastically from high school days, but that doesn't mean it will be worse, although you may take sometime to adapt to it. And we all eventually will:).

Zaza101

HSC
There reallly is no need to worry in your first year, from exprience just go over your lecture notes and do any set work for tuts, and try to start on assignments.

But i dont think we can really help you out that much becouse i blieve everyone has a diffrent sturdy style and you need to find your own.

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
yeh, first year is a walk in the park. its basically just parties, chics, alcohol, drugs and STIs. second year is kinda the same.

merillem

HSC
Just go to all the classes and do what they tell you to do. If they say 'read this' then read it. If they say, 'write this down', write it down. If they tell you 'research this' then research it.

You'll be right. Don't drop out - stick with it. Maybe join up with one of the mentor groups on campus.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)