How do I write an integrated Mod B Essay? (1 Viewer)

zlum23

HSC
I am attempting to write an integrated essay on T.S Eliot's poems. I have all my quotes, analysis and ideas, but I am unsure of how to structure my paragraphs and easily switch between poems. Could I have some help or an example?

AkaLau

HSC
I'm also writing on T.S Eliot's poetry for Mod B.
Generally I like to talk about 2 separate poems max per paragraph (otherwise it often gets confusing for the reader). If you're doing 3 paragraphs (like I usually do) you can either talk about poems A and B for each paragraph, or A&B for the first, B&C for the second and A&C for the third. I find the second approach works better for me.
You can start of with analysis of one poem, then bring the second one in by comparing its treatment of the same concept or theme, or how it creates the same/different effect.

E.g. For a paragraph on the concept of isolation in both Preludes and The Lovesong of J. Alfred Prufrock - 'This theme of alienation and neglect is similarly explored in 'Preludes', through desolate urban imagery ....' or 'Eliot also employs sensory imagery to portray the isolating effect of urbanisation in 'Preludes', as seen through....' etc.
If the topic or theme is explored differently, you could start it off with - 'Contrastingly, the concept of alienation is investigated in 'Preludes' through ...'
Throughout analysis of the second poem you can also occasionally refer back to the first - '.... contrasting against/mirroring that of 'Lovesong of J. Alfred Prufrock'.

Good luck, hope this helps :)

howcanibesmarter

HSC
i.e.
i did prufrock hollow -fragmentation of human psyche and the suffering that ensue
hollow magi - cyclical struggle on ones ontological journey, religon's failure to offer salvation on one's journey of englightment.
prufrock magi - modern crisis of identity, linked with fragmentation of religon

i would advise follwoing a strucutre that goes as follows:
Body 1 - 3 Quotes Text A, 3 Quotes Text B
Body 2 - 3 Quotes Text B, 3 Quotes Text C
Body 3 - u get the idea...

u'd want to do 3 poems

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)