How do internal marks work? (1 Viewer)

Secretive fish

HSC
N/A
How do internals work? like ik the basics so no need to explain that, im just curious bc there are 4 assessments for y12, which means 4 different ranks for each of the assessments. 1) Would they calculate the average of those ranks/how do they calculate the average of the ranks?
Also, 2) for e.g if you ranked 5th in the first task, would you be given that rank, and then it would be adjusted depending on how you did on task 2? or do the ranks for each individual assessment not get released and instead all get released at the end of the year right before the hsc

WeiWeiMan

HSC
How do internals work? like ik the basics so no need to explain that, im just curious bc there are 4 assessments for y12, which means 4 different ranks for each of the assessments. 1) Would they calculate the average of those ranks/how do they calculate the average of the ranks?
Also, 2) for e.g if you ranked 5th in the first task, would you be given that rank, and then it would be adjusted depending on how you did on task 2? or do the ranks for each individual assessment not get released and instead all get released at the end of the year right before the hsc
rank is rank of cumulative mark so ur assessments marks and their weightings

ariandjabari

HSC
Your final rank is based on the average of all your raw assessment marks with their weightings applied. As for the ranks, your teachers should have your ranks in every individual assessment task and some teachers decide to share it with the class and students but some do not. However, it is only for the purpose of comparison as individual ranks mean nothing for NESA. Your school only submits your final assessment ranks which you can view after the last HSC exam on NESA website which is available for a period of time.

So if you are 5th for the first rank then based on the average of your task 1 and 2 marks (with weightings applied), your rank will be updated in the second task on your semester 1 report. Your ranks will be updated with every assessment until you get your trial/ forth assessment results where your final rank is calculated and appears on your semester 2 report. NESA uses the final ranks and gaps between these ranks in a subject to allocate HSC assessment marks.

Remember, depending on your cohort performance in each assessment, your final rank could be different to your individual ranks. if you rank the same in all of your assessments, it does not necessarily mean your final rank will be the same. As a result, individual marks should be valued more than individual ranks since the average of marks (with applied weightings) determine your final cumulative rank which is submitted to NESA.

Secretive fish

HSC
N/A
do you get two different ranks then? Like a rank for that specific task as well as a rank that is the average of all the tasks you have completed for y12?
I.e. you ranked ~20 for task 3, and so overall for the 3 tasks you are ranked 17, or do you only get one or the other?

WeiWeiMan

HSC
do you get two different ranks then? Like a rank for that specific task as well as a rank that is the average of all the tasks you have completed for y12?
I.e. you ranked ~20 for task 3, and so overall for the 3 tasks you are ranked 17, or do you only get one or the other?
you'd get the cumulative mark rank

scaryshark09

∞∆ who let 'em cook dis long ∆∞
HSC
no
you only get a rank after trials, which is based of weighed percentages (its not an average)

Secretive fish

HSC
N/A
you can only change ranks after a task is marked or if you fight a mark what?
huh? " you only get a rank after trials, which is based of weighed percentages (its not an average)" im responding to that? From what i understand im getting two contradicting answers so idk which one is right

scaryshark09

∞∆ who let 'em cook dis long ∆∞
HSC
so what you're saying is, you won't get a rank up until the last term of y12?
you will get ranks for each individual task (maybe) and you might even get a cumulative rank throughtout the year from your teachers, but the only rank that actually matters and is sent to nesa is the final one after trials. i dont think schools have to give you any ranks, but they might choose to. the only thing you will 100% get is the final ranks on the nesa website after the hsc exams

WeiWeiMan

HSC
huh? " you only get a rank after trials, which is based of weighed percentages (its not an average)" im responding to that? From what i understand im getting two contradicting answers so idk which one is right
ur rank can change without you knowing what it changed to

ariandjabari

HSC
what does this even mean
It means your rank can get updated with every task but without you knowing what the updated rank is, because it is up to your school/teachers to let you know. Though, they do tell you your final rank which is the only rank that really matters for your HSC.

hubin

HSC
Make sure you don't fall under the assumption that "it's ok, I'll just try harder for trials and restore my rank". I definitely thought this would work but due to statistics and everything (you can look it up), it's probably more worthwhile absolutely sweating these next two HSC assessment tasks.

WeiWeiMan

HSC
Make sure you don't fall under the assumption that "it's ok, I'll just try harder for trials and restore my rank". I definitely thought this would work but due to statistics and everything (you can look it up), it's probably more worthwhile absolutely sweating these next two HSC assessment tasks.
bro my at3 and trials were weighted the exact same

hubin

HSC
I feel like everyone tries harder for trials anyways, but that was just some advice that I wish I took on for other subjects like chemistry and maths

Secretive fish

HSC
N/A
Yeah ok gotcha, Im going into y11 but ill keep that in mind for next yr

ariandjabari

HSC
Your best chance for improving ranks is honestly the early tasks where the exams and tasks are normally out of marks lower than 50 (with many schools with assessments out of 20-30 eg, essays, depth studies, etc), meaning that each mark in these are more important than each mark in trials. Whilst the contribution of trials is mostly higher, the mistakes you make can be more costly in earlier tasks. So, trying hard on those tasks can actually make a greater difference than trials.

I know someone who came first in his cohort of 60 people because they did well in eatlier tasks (lost one out of 27 and 25) despite touching top 10 in trials.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)