How do main round offers/preferences work? (1 Viewer)

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
My understanding is that no matter what preference they gave, all applicants are considered equally for the course. I guess that if they're both over the cutoff, they'd both get offers, and if the uni doesn't have enough spaces they'd adjust the cutoff accordingly.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
That is, unless person B gets an offer to a higher ranked preference - then only person A would receive an offer. Then if Person B doesn't accept - then they can get the same offer that Person A received in a later round. So A would get preferred over B - as long as person B gets another offer.

That seems right.. I think.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
My understanding is that no matter what preference they gave, all applicants are considered equally for the course. I guess that if they're both over the cutoff, they'd both get offers, and if the uni doesn't have enough spaces they'd adjust the cutoff accordingly.
I have the answer for this:

Say that there is a cutoff of 100 students for a certain course, and the ATAR cut off is 90.00. The course is almost full and currently has 99 students in the course so far. However, there are another two applicants with the same ATAR which is 90.00 (perhaps they have ATARs of 85.00 and are getting an offer in the third round, regardless the two applicants are the last two that could possibly fit in the course). Now, the university has to treat these two candidates equally and will either reject both applicants or the admissions director will contact the Dean and request if another position can be made to accommodate the extra student.
It is likely that the Admissions officer would take the second route, and most likely approved by the Dean of the faculty, since there is only one extra applicant being admitted. If, however, there were 5 applicants (or more - don't take my word on the amount of students) in the same situation then the outcome may be different.

If someone were to reject an offer or defer, who was already qualified for that course with an ATAR of, say, 93.50, then there would of course be room.

I hope this helps a little with the technical aspects of offers.

Good luck to all.

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
I'd rep you if I could! DEEWR gives them target enrolments, but it seems they're allowed to deviate by a few percent so they can overenrol if that's the most practicable option.

Akiheart

HSC
N/A
Thanks guys for your help! :D I just met the cut-off ATAR (based on last yr) for UNSW Comm/Law but was unsure whether I should put USyd Comm/Law as a higher preference over UNSW in the slight chance that the ATAR cutoff for the USyd course decreased slightly this year. Hopefully ATAR cutoff for UNSW Com/Law doesnt increase this yr! :)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Put the one you want to get first - as your first preference. Don't worry about the cut-offs, because apparently if you're close enough - you'll get in via later rounds.

Chromatic

Banned
HSC
N/A
Put the one you want to get first - as your first preference. Don't worry about the cut-offs, because apparently if you're close enough - you'll get in via later rounds.
What a load of horse, bull-mixed F%$&ING SH*T!!!!

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I wouldn't go as far as Chromatic has, and I'm sure that is the case in -some- situations, however, it most certainly isn't the case in -all- situations.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
And I thought the HSC moderation/alignment was the difficult part of the HSC...

Apparently it's offers. <_<

Someone should seriously start doing something... all these things I'm being told about offers are wrong! So educate me. What's the "correct" thing?

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Could you please clarify? :D
You'll only be offered a spot in later rounds if there is a vacancy. If there are absolutely no vacancies in the course, no matter how close to the cutoff you are, you will not get in. Conversely, if a course has heaps of people drop out, then you may be 4 ATAR points below the original ATAR cut-off, but you will still be offered a place.

Da_Bomb

HSC
Hey say if i get an offer for my first preference, and then i change my mind about what i wanna do at uni, can i change the order of preferences to get an offer for that course at a later round or am i just stuck with the original offer only?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)