How do rankings of schools affect your HSC mark? (1 Viewer)

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
The ranking of your school in 2011 will not affect how a student goes in 2012. They will re-rank the schools AFTER the 2012 HSC based on the results of the 2012 cohort.

INADIKAP95

HSC
N/A
So if someone gets an internal report mark (which is a scaled mark) of say 75 in English ranked 25/100 in a school ranked 88, will that mean that 75 is moderted up, to say 85 as a final BOS mark?

Examine

same
HSC
I think going to a high ranked school is like insurance. If we were to compare let's say a person ranked in the top 10 in MX2 in Baulko to a person ranked 1st in a 300/400 schools although they may have the same capacity to achieve the same external mark as the person from James Ruse if they end up stuffing up in the hsc exam there's usually nobody to carry their internals. However, if the Baulko student stuffs up since they are ranked quite favourably at a strong school their internal mark is guaranteed to be quite high.

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
Basically, if you can manage to somewhat keep up with the top 50% of the cohort in a top 10 school. You are all good.

mcchicken

madman in a box
HSC
This thread has kind of confused me a little bit lol everyone is kind of saying different things. At the end of the day, does rank affect your marks? And no, I don't mean Ruse vs some 300 school lol my school is like 600. Every year there are a few people in the cohort with potential for B5s and 6s and around a handful will get an ATAR above 70.
E.g, last year there was a student who got 3 B6s and 2 B5s and her ATAR was 86, does that sound right? Like if someone at a better school got those marks is that an accurate ATAR estimate? Obviously I know it changes every year cos it's a rank blah blah but just humour me.

PhysicsMaths

HSC
This thread has kind of confused me a little bit lol everyone is kind of saying different things. At the end of the day, does rank affect your marks? And no, I don't mean Ruse vs some 300 school lol my school is like 600. Every year there are a few people in the cohort with potential for B5s and 6s and around a handful will get an ATAR above 70.
E.g, last year there was a student who got 3 B6s and 2 B5s and her ATAR was 86, does that sound right? Like if someone at a better school got those marks is that an accurate ATAR estimate? Obviously I know it changes every year cos it's a rank blah blah but just humour me.
I believe that the BOSTES website states that the performance of your cohort may have an effect on your examination marks.

Since each school has varying relative difficulties in internal assessments, BOSTES has the system of "moderation" where all schools can be compared through a standardised test (HSC exams). When determining your atar regarding the internal component, they take into account your ranking for a particular subject amongst your class, and the relative mark differences between them. They then take the aggregate of your cohort's internal marks which can be compared to the performance of your class in the exams.

For example, if the aggregate of your class' internal assessments are 400/500, however they score only 300/500 in the hsc examinations, they take this into account as this indicates that your internal assessments were "easier" than the actual examination. It states on the BOSTES website that your marks are "adjusted accordingly"; they do not provide detail on how exactly this may influence your marks.

In the exam, if your cohort does poorly, your examination marks may correspondingly be dragged down. However, it states that they have "safeguards" in place so that they are somewhat protected from outliers. For example, if some students in your class perform way lower than the class average, they will not be taken into account when adjusting your marks. Also, if you are ranked first or last, the performance of your cohort will not affect your overall marks.

Thus, if you go to a rank 600 school, assuming that your year isn't particularly "special" and will perform somewhat the same, it's important to maintain a high rank for all your subjects.

In short, your marks will most likely be affected by your cohort.

mcchicken

madman in a box
HSC
Thanks! My year is not the brightest bunch, what you call "low-performing outliers" I pretty much consider 50% of my cohort haha. I'm ranked 1st in everything besides Adv and CAFS, both of which I'm just a few marks behind first and then there's a large gap between myself and the rest of the class. Do you think this will have a massive affect on my marks?

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks! My year is not the brightest bunch, what you call "low-performing outliers" I pretty much consider 50% of my cohort haha. I'm ranked 1st in everything besides Adv and CAFS, both of which I'm just a few marks behind first and then there's a large gap between myself and the rest of the class. Do you think this will have a massive affect on my marks?
Depends on the performance of you, and the person ranked first in the HSC exam.

Ace0804

HSC
What happens if there is like a 5-6 mark difference in the internal ranks of 1st and 2nd, and 3rd was close to second, but everyone below that did had a big difference. But in the HSC 1st, 2nd and 3rd all were very close and there was a big difference in the others. Would 2nd and 3rd still be dragged down since in internal ranks there was a big difference.

D94

HSC
N/A
What happens if there is like a 5-6 mark difference in the internal ranks of 1st and 2nd, and 3rd was close to second, but everyone below that did had a big difference. But in the HSC 1st, 2nd and 3rd all were very close and there was a big difference in the others. Would 2nd and 3rd still be dragged down since in internal ranks there was a big difference.
2nd and 3rd will end up with similar assessment marks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)