How do state ranks work??? (1 Viewer)

ultra908

HSC
Some of the state rankers have the exact same HSC mark but yet achieve different state ranks. How is this possible? How do they rank those at the top? Kinda confused lol

Accurate

clix
HSC
They break the ties by taking in fact your 3U AND 4U mark.

That's how it works for math at least.

ultra908

HSC
They break the ties by taking in fact your 3U AND 4U mark.

That's how it works for math at least.
I'm not sure i understand. For example, if we get the same mark in 3U, but i don't do 4U and you do 4U, does that mean you rank higher than I do?

Accurate

clix
HSC
I'm not sure i understand. For example, if we get the same mark in 3U, but i don't do 4U and you do 4U, does that mean you rank higher than I do?
Nope. It's like this,

Around 30 ish people get 100/100 for 3U every year, now they can't give all 30 a state rank. So they look at their 4U Maths mark then rank them.

Vice versa for 4U Maths.

HSC
Sometimes it is like that but most likely they will look at the test papers and rank based on how well their responses answered the question, it's quite a subjective process. I know this is for sure in economics where they will compare essays and short answer as a tie-breaker.

quickoats

HSC
From NESA:

“If students are equal on the highest HSC marks in a course, then the following process is used to determine the recipient(s):

1. take an average of each student's exam mark and assessment mark after alignment to performance bands, each to one decimal place

2. take an average of each student's exam mark and assessment mark before alignment to performance bands, each to two decimal places

3. if an extension course, use the marks awarded for other courses in the subject area.”

If candidates are still indistinguishable (probably most likely in the maths courses where many students achieve 100% raw), I’ve heard that working/reasoning and even handwriting have been compared to determine the state ranks. NESA has awarded equal firsts (especially in 2 unit and genny) so I’d assume that sometimes the subjective comparison fails to differentiate candidates.

ultra908

HSC
From NESA:

“If students are equal on the highest HSC marks in a course, then the following process is used to determine the recipient(s):

1. take an average of each student's exam mark and assessment mark after alignment to performance bands, each to one decimal place

2. take an average of each student's exam mark and assessment mark before alignment to performance bands, each to two decimal places

3. if an extension course, use the marks awarded for other courses in the subject area.”

If candidates are still indistinguishable (probably most likely in the maths courses where many students achieve 100% raw), I’ve heard that working/reasoning and even handwriting have been compared to determine the state ranks. NESA has awarded equal firsts (especially in 2 unit and genny) so I’d assume that sometimes the subjective comparison fails to differentiate candidates.
thanks so much 👍

scottie_wy1973

HSC
From NESA:

thank you so mush i also have same question in my mind :)

_rakelt

HSC
I think your school's performance (holistically) also matters? Like theres bound to be students with the same marks but your school's ranking will determine the higher rank for a specific student

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
I think your school's performance (holistically) also matters? Like theres bound to be students with the same marks but your school's ranking will determine the higher rank for a specific student
Not sure where you got that from but this is definitely not true. If you look that the actual state ranks in previous years you see plenty of examples where students from lower ranked schools were placed above or tied with those from higher ranked schools

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I thought it was simply due to most students only see the marks rounded to a whole number but the state ranking process also takes into consideratio decimal points. I vaguely recall my IPT teacher showing me my real mark vs the rounded number I got on my HSC results.

_rakelt

HSC
Not sure where you got that from but this is definitely not true. If you look that the actual state ranks in previous years you see plenty of examples where students from lower ranked schools were placed above or tied with those from higher ranked schools
Oh? Ok nvm I must be very wrong

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)