how do u make parts of a motor? (1 Viewer)

>monkey<

HSC
hey guys i have an assessment where we have to make a dc motor out of household items :S
im just lost...how do u make an armature, split ring commutator and carbon brushes?

mysteek

HSC
i guess for armature u could use the wooden skewers. For the split ring commutator you could probably bend 2 pieces of copper and for carbon brushes...not sure..haha havent done this in quite a long time:D

clonestar

Physicist/*******
HSC
N/A
>monkey< said:
hey guys i have an assessment where we have to make a dc motor out of household items :S
im just lost...how do u make an armature, split ring commutator and carbon brushes?

Get some copper wire make sure its insulated.<-thin wire

Get a 1.5v AAbattery.
Some sandpaper
Get some solder and thick copper wire.

Atttach the thick copper wire to the ends of the battery in a loop like this:

U
l
l
l
l
l<-(+)battery(-)->l <-- Place same diagram on left side(+) here wire with u at top.

Now get the thin wire and make it into a loop with 10 turns say.

Looks like this:
-----o--------

Now the trick to making the split ring commutator is this:

Get some sandpaper and sand of all around one end of the loop and then on the other side sand only one half of it so as the loop get to the vertical there is no current flowing. It should be insulated ends touching the contacts at this point.

Voila you just made a DC motor.
I have made lots of these here at school. Let me know how it goes for you.
Enjoy

CLONESTAR

Last edited:

M-turkey

Zoom Zoom
HSC
A safety consideration would be to use a non-metallic axel.

When I built mine, I had a piece of dowel, about 25 mm thick, which I carefully drilled through at two places and placed two thinner pieces through.

Use thick wire for coils. I was the first one in my class to finish their motor, and made the mistake of using very thin winding wire. It made a good generator, but not a good motor.

Also, use metal where the axel makes contact with the frame, rather than wood, it will reduce friction considerably.

M-turkey

Zoom Zoom
HSC
Also, good magnets are important.

Hopefully you can borrow some rare-earth magnets from a teacher, otherwise you'll be stuck with crappy bar magnets, or have to pay about $25 for your own

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)