How do we rate Optus? (1 Viewer)

jackl25

HSC
Hey BoSers,

I'm looking to purchase a mobile phone, and unfortunately it isn't compatible with 850MHz networks, so I won't be able to use 3G on Telstra Next G or Vodafone's new network; it only operates on the 900MHz Optus 3G frequency.

I am currently using a Dual Sim phone - one sim for Vodafone, one sim for Telstra. I find the reception on both to be good (though I've never tried either on 3G); but how do we rate Optus? I need decent coverage in the North Western suburbs (where I live), and in the city for attending uni.

I'd also appreciate your thoughts on price/value - I intend to go on Prepaid (~$15 a month).

Cheers.

skyhawkmatthew

Your Captain
HSC
Well, looks like you're stuck with Optus regardless... but in my experience living on the mid-north coast and now in Sydney, Telstra has a significantly better network than Optus - both in coverage and speed. In metro Sydney you should get 2100MHz 3G with Telstra if you go that way - but of course only EDGE outside those areas.

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
Well, looks like you're stuck with Optus regardless... but in my experience living on the mid-north coast and now in Sydney, Telstra has a significantly better network than Optus - both in coverage and speed. In metro Sydney you should get 2100MHz 3G with Telstra if you go that way - but of course only EDGE outside those areas.
yeah no
the 3GIS partnership expires in august so as of sept all telstra customers using 2100mhz only (or non 850mhz) handsets will be relegated to gsm only networks

skyhawkmatthew

Your Captain
HSC
yeah no
the 3GIS partnership expires in august so as of sept all telstra customers using 2100mhz only (or non 850mhz) handsets will be relegated to gsm only networks
OK, I didn't know that... thanks.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Bigpond internet is shit, it's the fastest but I get disconnected randomly way too much

jackl25

HSC
I'll add that, although I'm with Telstra, I don't think I can continue with them regardless of whether I get this phone. I'm on a $30 Member plan, and it has been averaging $50-$70/month for the past ~1.5 years. I just don't think the coverage is worth the extra cost - and this is just 2.5G calling + texting.

Optus/Virgin BYO $19/month plans look like really good value; Rollover credit for a plan - I've never seen that before. But then, I don't know how reliable their network is.

Vodafone has been good for me - value wise, but the reliability of 3G services is kind of offputting.

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
I'll add that, although I'm with Telstra, I don't think I can continue with them regardless of whether I get this phone. I'm on a $30 Member plan, and it has been averaging $50-$70/month for the past ~1.5 years. I just don't think the coverage is worth the extra cost - and this is just 2.5G calling + texting.

Optus/Virgin BYO $19/month plans look like really good value; Rollover credit for a plan - I've never seen that before. But then, I don't know how reliable their network is.

Vodafone has been good for me - value wise, but the reliability of 3G services is kind of offputting.
you know they have other plans right

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)