How do you do your shelling? (1 Viewer)

willC

HSC
So how do you do your volumes by shelling? My teacher and some of the textbooks im using say to do it by finding the circumference of the shell as the width of its sides tends to 0, then using this, the length and the height of the shell to calculate the volume etc...but the Cambridge text uses a different method. They use a method involving calculating the outide and inside radius of the shell (similar to finding an annulus using slices). So how do YOU do it?

.....working through this chapter now...suprisingly short....suprisingly harder than i though....still suprisingly fun

onebytwo

Recession '08
HSC
willC said:
So how do you do your volumes by shelling? My teacher and some of the textbooks im using say to do it by finding the circumference of the shell as the width of its sides tends to 0, then using this, the length and the height of the shell to calculate the volume etc...but the Cambridge text uses a different method. They use a method involving calculating the outide and inside radius of the shell (similar to finding an annulus using slices). So how do YOU do it?

.....working through this chapter now...suprisingly short....suprisingly harder than i though....still suprisingly fun
i remember seeing the cambridge text book describing that shell method. our teacher taught us the circumference and height weigh, which, for the cambridge exercises, was more than enough. for better practise check out terry lee's volumes questions

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)