How do you get 90+ in all subjects?? (1 Viewer)

LouisaCar

HSC
Hi everyone,

I just started year 12 and reallyyy want to do well in the HSC but so far I have only been able to get band 6 range in a few subjectsss.
Was wondering how the people that do well all round DO IT?
&& do you guys put ALL your time in study

THANKS

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
They're just naturally talented. And/or they work hard.

Bobbo1

HSC
There's no magic amount of work which people have to do, however it is consistent study and determination which will give you results. As a guide, I'd say around 2 hours of CONSISTENT and proper study throughout the HSC should get you atleast high 80s to around early 90s depending on your natural talent and the subject.

loaves

HSC
As everyone else said, work consistently throughout the year. It'll be easier if you've chosen subjects that you're naturally good/efficient at... I've done no homework/study all year except for 1-2 days before exams and I'm still expecting to do quite well (we'll see!). This might not be the same for you though. Only you know how hard you'll have to work - you shouldn't really think in terms of "I'll study 3 hours a night", but more "I'll study until I'm confident I know ______". This might take more/less time for you than for others.

Also remember that while you might not be getting 90+ in your school assessments, you don't really know how 'hard' your teachers mark compared to HSC markers. Also, those are your raw marks - which will almost definitely be aligned up. In some subjects you might only need 75% raw to get a B6, etc.

LouisaCar

HSC
Ok, I really like and appreciate your advice/insight!!!
Also another problem. I have been feeling really reluctant to go out with my friends and participate in co-curricular. Do you think these things are necessary and appropriate for someone with high result expectations

LouisaCar

HSC
As everyone else said, work consistently throughout the year. It'll be easier if you've chosen subjects that you're naturally good/efficient at... I've done no homework/study all year except for 1-2 days before exams and I'm still expecting to do quite well (we'll see!). This might not be the same for you though. Only you know how hard you'll have to work - you shouldn't really think in terms of "I'll study 3 hours a night", but more "I'll study until I'm confident I know ______". This might take more/less time for you than for others.

Also remember that while you might not be getting 90+ in your school assessments, you don't really know how 'hard' your teachers mark compared to HSC markers. Also, those are your raw marks - which will almost definitely be aligned up. In some subjects you might only need 75% raw to get a B6, etc.

Also another problem. I have been feeling really reluctant to go out with my friends and participate in co-curricular. Do you think these things are necessary and appropriate for someone with high result expectations

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
You have to go out with your friends or you'll die.

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad
I got all band 6s with

Maths 2u
MX1
English
Economics
Legal
SOR

Basically my advice is that you constantly keep ur ranks high and consistent. How? Always concentrate on the subjects that are your lowest ranked. Its all about opportunity cost. No point wasting time on a subject you know you can do well in, and get a solid band 6 in already, if it means losing marks in a subject you need more work in.

For example Economics and Mx1 were usually my lowest ranked (5/50 and 4/20) and these were the two subjects i paid most attention to. Everything else took a bit of a backwards step. So time management and knowing what to study in the quickest manner is fairly important

this is just my view anyway

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad
no thats too much effort

loaves

HSC
Definitely! Your whole life shouldn't stop because of your HSC, that's ridiculous and you'll end up really unhappy after a few months. Honestly, the HSC isn't particularly challenging, just requires effort and efficiency. You should have ample time to do all of those things.

I said in another thread that I quit my job in Feb to 'concentrate on study', but it made me manage my time terribly because I could easily say "I'll do it later/on the weekend/before school". If you know that you have commitments, you'll know that you have to do the essay tonight because you have netball training tomorrow and you're going out on Saturday...etc etc. Keep a diary/timetable if you like being able to visualise your time.

Good luck. :)

Mr L

HSC
N/A
One of the best ways to ensure that you receive 90%+ in your assessment tasks is to constantly bombard you teachers with drafts. I did this for every subject and it worked wonders.

Also, you should begin your assessments the day you receive them, you'll find that they are much easier to complete and will become less of a burden.

I hope this helps!

Last edited:

enoilgam

HSC
consistency and efficiency
Absolutely true, this is the key to success with the HSC. The amount of study you need to put in varies on your natural intelligence and your talents. Some people can get a band 6 whilst doing very little work. However, for the majority of people, they will need to put in some degree of work. In saying that, you dont need to spend every waking minute studying, just be efficient like dd24 said. The problem with most students is they think that the more time they study, the better the result they will get. Whilst it is important to devote time to study, a small amount of efficient and effective study trumps a long amount of inefficient and ineffective study.

Galladrim

HSC
Yes, otherwise you will go mad. it's all about achieving a balance. One hour of good solid studying is much better than four hours of feeling restless and not getting much done. Besides, this is your final year of school, take the opportunity it gives you, believe me you will really value it in the future. Make time to do things you enjoy, to go out with friends and to join into co-curricular activities.

2011_

HSC
As someone already said, remember getting a Band 6 doesn't necessarily mean your raw HSC exam mark was 90 or over - for some subject the raw mark needed to get a band 6 is 75. So if you are consistently getting low to mid 80s there is a good chance you will be able to achieve band 6 (depending on how hard your Teachers mark, your school rank etc, etc). The key is working hard but also taking some time to relax. For example, I worked really hard all year but if I felt overwhelmed I would just take some time out for a walk or something. Good luck!!

Haemolymph

Banned
HSC
There's no magic amount of work which people have to do, however it is consistent study and determination which will give you results. As a guide, I'd say around 2 hours of CONSISTENT and proper study throughout the HSC should get you atleast high 80s to around early 90s depending on your natural talent and the subject.
Lol. I did about 2 hours all up. Should be getting in this range. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)