How do you give a judgement on a play? (1 Viewer)

chris32456

HSC
N/A
Hey everyone!

So basically this is for a Hamlet extract, the essay question says "to what extent does your response to the closing scenes of Hamlet inform your judgement of this play as a whole". Now basically how to i go about 'giving my own judgement'? Can i use things like "My opinion of the play blah blah".

Any opinions are much appreciated!

~Chris

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
You don't have to use first person though e.g.

The ending of the play is the catalyst for the social and ethical dimensions to come forth.
The ending of the play, while critical to the exploration of Hamlet, gives little attention to the spiritual themes that plague the opening scenes.
The ending of the play is the capstone to an otherwise one-dimensional exploration of revenge.

chris32456

HSC
N/A
You don't have to use first person though e.g.

The ending of the play is the catalyst for the social and ethical dimensions to come forth.
The ending of the play, while critical to the exploration of Hamlet, gives little attention to the spiritual themes that plague the opening scenes.
The ending of the play is the capstone to an otherwise one-dimensional exploration of revenge.
Ahh i see what you mean, thank you! :)

ncoul

HSC
I know that some English teachers are divided on whether or not first person is appropriate in giving your personal judgement of the play, but since it is a critical module, I think it's required.

In terms of the ending's significance, why is it so important to the play? Does it have the finality and resolution required for a Shakespearian revenge tragedy? More importantly, I personally think that the ending came to really emphasize the frailties and flaws in human nature - the ironic death of colluding and duplicitous characters played into Shakespeare's existentialist undertones throughout the play.

REMEMBER, your discussion of the ending should be complemented with analysis of the play as a whole and its textual integrity, linking the exposition, rising action, climax, falling action and denouement together.

Nick

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)