How do you hill start? (1 Viewer)

F2001

HSC
47.46.45 said:
(assuming you're a manual driver)

You're on a hill at traffic lights. Right foot on the foot brake, you're in neutral. Left foot is on the clutch or whatever you do at the lights. When it's time to go, do you:

a) Have the handbrake on, shift to first, rev and let the clutch out a little, drop the handbrake as the car starts to build a little torque;

b) Have the handbrake off, shift to first before the lights change, let the clutch out till the friction point, hold the car on the clutch and then drive off whenever the lights change;

c) Have the handbrake off, clutch in and shifter to first, let the clutch out a little and then move your right foot off the brake and to the accelerator and drive off.

Sorry if they're not clear. Elaborate if you do something else, I'm just arguing with my dad about whether it's bad to hold the car on the clutch. For the record I do something like c, despite being taught to do A.
C all the way.
A is taught for beginners then they pickup/move on to C. And IMO it's easier to straight away learn to do C and don't mess around with the handbrake.
B???:sleep::uhoh:

Now what if you're reverse parking up a hill etc.

ticky2002 said:
I think I'd be quite scared doing a hill start, especially in a city.
I know how to drive Manuals, and I've drove in the city (only in an auto), but I've got nowhere to practice.
Where I live it is flat as, only ever done one hill start and that was down near the river.
I think I'll stick to automatics when around hills/in cities.
There no hills in the city, just slight slopes, nothing major.

Last edited:

Peartie

HSC
mostly c....but if its a steep hill ill use A....or if im going to be at the hill for a long time ill put the car in neutral, handbreak on and have a 'relax' (not having to have feet on pedals....meh....

Pace_T

HSC
Azamakumar said:
rev to 8k then dump.
LOLOLOL thats what a lot of people do literally. sooo funny
mmm who likes the smell of old eggs?

Jess007

HSC
i think i

* have the car in neutral once im at the red light
* green light i put it in 1st click the button of the hand break, then get the revs up and everything then let the handbreak off, then off i go. it also depends on the traffic around me i think, i cant really think about what i do.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
Usually C but if it's a long wait then I'll use the handbrake.

Also no hills in the city?! Ever tried parking at Bondi? If you don't use the handbrake you will roll back and bump someone, even if you're lightening quick with the clutch.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)