How do you "Mould" an essay to a new question? (1 Viewer)

jackerino

HSC
Guys, if I dont but a top quality essay, im going to absolutely fucking FAIL my HSC english exams, I REALLY need to know how the moulding thing works, how did you guys do it, and could you give me an example of an essay, then the modified version according to a particular question?

HSC
N/A
I'm not going to pretend that i'm all king shit with english, and there's no guarantee this will even work...but the way I mould essays is pretty simple.

Read the question and try thinking of points you've memorised and try linking them. So if the question was, "why don't all cats nyan?" and you had prepared a response with paragraph one saying something like "cats are x" then you would write something like "cats are x and hence do not nyan" Just try adding something that pertains to the question.

Since you've already prepared an essay, you probably have a thesis and your ideas. Just think of ways the ideas you've written relate to the question. Some of what you've memorised probably can't be used at all, or some of it will have to be changed completely to adapt the question, where you'd only use a technique and quote to back dat shit up.

raditude

HSC
I'm not going to pretend that i'm all king shit with english, and there's no guarantee this will even work...but the way I mould essays is pretty simple.

Read the question and try thinking of points you've memorised and try linking them. So if the question was, "why don't all cats nyan?" and you had prepared a response with paragraph one saying something like "cats are x" then you would write something like "cats are x and hence do not nyan" Just try adding something that pertains to the question.

Since you've already prepared an essay, you probably have a thesis and your ideas. Just think of ways the ideas you've written relate to the question. Some of what you've memorised probably can't be used at all, or some of it will have to be changed completely to adapt the question, where you'd only use a technique and quote to back dat shit up.
LISTEN TO THIS GIRL SHE IS THE BEST!!!! :) hahaha :p

anuras

HSC
sometimes i have like a list of spare quotes in case i want to add stuff. if your prepared essay is in line with the rubric demands it will be much easier to adapt to questions, but they key thing that our school has been asking us to do is actually 'engage' with the Q - i lost heaps of marks in trials for just 'tacking it on'. think about the question as much as you can and be prepared to chop and change from what you have ready.

Airsey

HSC
I was wondering (stressing!) about this too. My belonging essay argues that belonging arises from connections to people and places. What happens if the essay question wants us to write about something completely different, e.g. belonging as a perception, not belonging, etc??

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Hey here's an idea instead of rote learning essays - understand the underlying concepts and this isn't a problem. Markers can tell when you regurgitate a rote learned essay.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
You don't. You write a new essay on the spot that answers the given question sufficiently.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)