How do you study for ancient? (1 Viewer)

zentiis

HSC
Generally i just read over everthing and make notes on the things i'm more likely to forget [eg. names of places etc].
for ancient i'm doing:
The Old kingdom
Pericles as my personality
and greece in the time of pelloponnesian war/persian wars. roughly 390bc-480bc

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
is it just me, or are the historical time periods harder to study for than the personalities? maybe it is just me...i find hatshepsut really easy to study for, but Nk Egypt to detah of Th IV heaps harder - i dunno, maybe there's just so many more aspects to tie together for the time period, whilst its already all centered around one figure in the personality study.

jimmik

HSC
silvermoon said:
is it just me, or are the historical time periods harder to study for than the personalities? maybe it is just me...i find hatshepsut really easy to study for, but Nk Egypt to detah of Th IV heaps harder - i dunno, maybe there's just so many more aspects to tie together for the time period, whilst its already all centered around one figure in the personality study.
i totally agree with u silvermoon. it jus seems like soooooo much to study in a whole society. i cant rememba anything...ahhh...i think i'll jus end up memorising essays...so bad..

trekkie

HSC
From what ive been told quoting isnt as important as some make it out to be, paraphrasing is enough and if you cant then the classic name drop can get you into the higher bands, the important thing to remember is that the marker doesnt just want to know what you know, but they also want to know HOW you know this, so a name drop is perfectly alright.

winicat

HSC
silvermoon said:
thats coz harpy queen was all "Oh New Kingdom Egypt doesn't matter. Only my darling Hatshepsut matters." with many air-kisses to dead hattie-soup to follow. or thats how i remember it anyway...ot that im biased against the evil wench or anything...
I'm sure there are some good books by AP Louis on NK ....

*invade invade*

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
winicat said:
I'm sure there are some good books by AP Louis on NK ....

*invade invade*
get out wini! u dont even do ancient. yes, i have outed you.
*goes onto roof top*
WINICAT DOES NOT DO ANCIENT!!!!!!!
im just jealous coz u never had 2 have harpy 4 it. *goes off into corner to sulk*

angelduck

Behind a rock with a glitter gun poised and ready
HSC
lol, im sure AP Lewis has wini, im sure
*runs out to write an entire textbook*
I find Hattie-soup soo hard to stuudy for! Im good at the essays stuff, maybe coz i make up weird and wonderful theories that at times actually work....
GO THE HYKSOS!!!

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
silvermoon said:
:uhhuh: me too. I think it's because there's so much more to know. I do Persia for one of the periods, which means I gotta know every single king (like egypt, etc), yet for Xerxes you know only about HIS life. Plus, the short answer questions for Personality and Society are sweet compared to the essays. You can bs ur way through short answer (not that i do that :p) but the markers are really tough on the essays, which i think is slack coz those are the hardest!!!

on topic:
Personality --> memorising quotes, reading thru notes
Society --> memorising quotes, reading thru notes
Historical period x 2 --> memorising essays

:)

Paroissien

HSC
I personally find societies hardest because I have very little interest in those topic areas

gemita

Raube Hohle convert
HSC
Does anyone else find the short answer personality questions are weird? I have done so much research for Hatshepsut and I feel really comfortable with everything I know (I think I know more for her than for NK-->Tuth4) but I just find the questions obscure and ambiguous, I can never quite tell what they're looking for.

MadCow

The Hatshepsut questions are usually alright but in the trials the last question was a bit iffy. I find NK Egypt the hardest to memorise stuff for....have been studying it all day and not one bit has sunk in...plus i am really bad with quotes and stuff. Im doing Sparta and Minoans and they are really good topics....quite easy to remember stuff for. I really hope they dont ask questions about really insignificant stuff...that would completely bring me down. Good luck to everyone

hotcocoababe

Sexiest BoS Member
I'm up there.... somewhere... gently floating abou
HSC
gemita said:
Does anyone else find the short answer personality questions are weird? I have done so much research for Hatshepsut and I feel really comfortable with everything I know (I think I know more for her than for NK-->Tuth4) but I just find the questions obscure and ambiguous, I can never quite tell what they're looking for.
Yea I agree, the short-answer hat questions sure are tricky ;)

I never know when to stop writing! I mean, I want to go on for pages and pages about her, but you just can't with the time limit. Probably a good thing really hehe :p :eek:

Im just scared about doing an essay response for Mycenae...its my hardest topic (and probably the reason that barely anyone in the state actually did it :( )

TheBirdMustFly

Writer for hire!
HSC
if u find it difficult to quote, just make reference to historians, just remember a few historians and then say 'Bradley states that Ramases use of propoganda was key to gaining the support of the people' If Bradly didn't say that, who cares, they won't look it up.

winicat

HSC
silvermoon said:
get out wini! u dont even do ancient. yes, i have outed you.
*goes onto roof top*
WINICAT DOES NOT DO ANCIENT!!!!!!!
im just jealous coz u never had 2 have harpy 4 it. *goes off into corner to sulk*
hey! i had her for 7,8 and crappy aust. hist. in year 10!!! mind you, richo gave my 100% for my federation essay *gloat gloat* hmm... BYE! oh! and good luck!!!1!!! (that "1" was for tina)

TheBirdMustFly

Writer for hire!
HSC
Trigger189 said:
Nice one Ben!
thanxs, hey good historians to use are

Ancients:
Cicero
Tactitus
Suetonius
(I prophably spelled them wrong)

Modern:
Pamela Bradely
(sorry only know one modern history, if anyone has others, speak up)

K

katie_tully

Use the syllabus as your bible for one.
List the key names, properties, important dates of your figure/civilisation, as well as sources. It helps to have a quote or two to back up.
To study for Alexander I'd write a subheading like "Family", "Military", "Opponents", "Sources", etc, and write any useful information.
With history it also helps if you can remember things in their chronological order, so you don't confuse yourself.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)