How do you study? (1 Viewer)

jaspreet

jasz
HSC
N/A
What works best for you when you're studying? Are most people here visual, practical or auditory learners. Do you people try to remember something by using pneumonics, recording to a cassette player and learning 'on the go' or by simulating a live event corresponding to the particular area of study to help you learn the basic concept. Is there a unique way that you use to help remember something. however strange or unusual this way may be? Tell me, I really want to know.

Personally, I think the best way to remember something is to try and teach what you know to a friend. This way, at least 95% of the content you teach them you will remember because its similar to a situation in a test. You get your message across by trying to explain something in your own words. This goes beyond memorising to actually understanding. What do you think?

Appreciate your comments. :)

*Pooja*

some ppl are inclined to use mnemonics when studying for tests to not forget key stuff, eg AN OX and RED CAT meaning that oxidation occurs at the anode and reduction occurs at the cathode. - in chem.
with kids that listen and store info into their head, wow thats a miracle. a good idea is to listen to whats said and creating your own questions on what was said. so ure testing yourself and so ull know how much u understood what was explained. if u didnt get something, ask the teacher the next day.
i dunno of any1 who records stuff onto a cassette player - mayb b/c the etachers at my school dont spend all the lesson talking. they write up stuff as well.
real life examples as in the cases of economics and business studies(i think) is really helpful. it keeps u in touch with reality. and including some of these things in ur essays is good too. i know my teacher appreciated my own examples that i came up with in my eco essays.
i find that the best way to rem sumthing is by TEACHING SOMEONE ELSE. srsly, arrange a group study, with no more than 4 people in it. i agree with whatever u said. explaining to others is like explaining and trying to make sense of the info for urself. so it does help u heaps.
i also note that some ppl record their notes onto a tape or sumthing and they listen to it while travelling to and from school. this is cool but i havent exactly tried it and wouldnt know its impacts.
to remember stuff:
- dont ever write stuff in paragraphs WRITE IN POINT FORM so that u understand properly.
- use diagrams,flowcharts and the like and lots of them - these r more helpful than a bunch of words.
- write, research, re-write, explain to others/join a study group, discuss summaries, add info to summaries, re-write summaries.
i find that sumaries dont end with class notes and sheets and teacher's explanations and tuition notes, u have to put ur bit in by DIFFERENTIATING UR INFORMATION FROM OTHERS!!!
try make ur stuff sound more understandable, more well described, etc.
k. thats it i suppose.

santaslayer

HSC
1) Read text and highlight main points.

2) Type notes out

3) Highlight even more to condense whole notes into a few words

4) Convert onto mindmap if feasible. :p

Misturi

[Studying...]
HSC
I read over notes, write notes, highlight words, try and remember things by saying them out aloud.

For english l write out paragraphs so when l actually write an essay l have what l need l just have to remember it.

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
i think that the explaining to a friend thing really helps. i do ancient history and everyday i explain to this friend of mine what we learnt in class .. it helps me to remember and also if i forget something before the test i can ask my friend! although she doesnt do anicent she is getting really good, like she could prbabl do the hsc exama in anicent come the time ...

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
English adv: write essays and take notes...but mainly alot of reading ( of everything, notes, books, related texts, cribs, essays, anything related to what I'm studying)

English Ext 1: not much...our assessment tasks are huuge and they're enough to compile a portfolio of essays and I just study them occasionally (im a "reader" study type of person as u can tell :p)

Maths: HW, HW, HW...practice question from various textbooks, study guides and past papers...im not up to the point where I can do whole past papers under timed conditions yet cos i havent finsihed enough topics :(

Economics: Make comprehensive notes on computer , read textbooks, answer tonnes of HSC practice short answer and MC questions and if i'm desperate and need to study but Im lazy, then ill resort to reading excel and making minor notes from it :D

Modern Hist: read textbook before class to be ahead, gather notes from other sources and books, write essays that cover various parts of the syllabus and do whatever Q's and hw that is set (usually not that much and i get it done in class anyway)

Hist ext: jack all....hahahaha..nahh i make notes and just read over class hand outs and stuff...nothing too major yet...:)

J

jhakka

Originally posted by glycerine
I don't. :p
For the most part that applies to me, but when I do I'm proud to say it's with as much whining and as little enthusiasm as possible. :D

bluesky100

Carly :-)
HSC
Well, in the past all I did was re-write notes over and over again.

Now in addition to that I make note on flash cards, record my notes on tape and listen to it plus answer as many question as possible for each subject - whether is be from the text or past exam papers.

olay

HSC
i find pop quizzing is always handy too... for quotes [if theres a LOT - e.g. ancient] i record 'em, say 'em out loud, write 'em and listen over again til they're drilled in [:D learnt about 50 quotes in one day...possibly more]. yeah, economics i read and write notes and do practise questions.... maths i just do as many papers and review ex's as i can... everything else is just NOTES + memorising. and i totally agree - teaching other ppl works wonders :D

ay_caramba

Crazily Sane.
HSC
I really just study by reading and understanding my textbooks. i have a pretty good memory, so it works for me :)
besides that, im too lazy to write up notes, and if i do write up notes, i end up writing out the whole textbook anyway lol
and i agree with u abt how explaining something to a friend helps u remember stuff, it really puts u on the spot abt how much u know *gulp*
chill

ameh

dirty trick
HSC
N/A
reread everything and make note summaries...

listen to music...

have a drink near u

teach other people...

Persephone87

Parlez Francais!
HSC
Just rewrite everything, and then make summary notes of notes.

But the best motiivation for me is new stationary. It gets me into the mood everytime :)

Persephone87

Parlez Francais!
HSC
Originally posted by *Pooja*
typing up your notes sumtimes makes u feel better too - like a pro! so u feel like u know it when u read thru ur typed up stuff!
I cant type fast enough to save my life! Its just a waste of time for me.

Tenax Propositi

there's just no oxygen
HSC
The key to study is do what works for you... if the results are what you are striving for and capable of, then it is a reflection that your study method is successful.

kochou

Originally posted by Tenax Propositi
The key to study is do what works for you... if the results are what you are striving for and capable of, then it is a reflection that your study method is successful.
and if nothing seems to work...?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)