How do you Study? (1 Viewer)

Sentient_667

HSC
I take an ongoing approach to my study, meaning I do it all the time. I take 3.5 hours aside for my homework, If I finish everything in that time (Fairly often), I'll do more of the current math exercise, or do some extension material from other books.

This method works extremely well for me, I got 93% in the first test (Simple Interest Complex Interest and Wages/Salaries etc.) The lowest mark was 13% and the class average was 40%.

ahacohen

HSC
Maths Lover

Okay, this is what i do;
I do every question in every chapter of the text book, this helps
I do go to tutoring every week for two hours.(although i don't need it, this time is used to move ahead of the class)
Secondly, i make notes from the ready made notes from the back of the text book
it comes in handy
After you are couple of chapters ahead, you could use the time in class to do revision. This depends how fast you work
I use past papers of the BOS website(the real one).
I also use the excel textbooks these do help

And if you do all this i guarentee you that you would become in the top 10 of the general maths course.

Trev

stix
HSC
Have a few good long cram sessions, that always does the trick for me.
Right before an exam, say the day/night before - do a solid 5-6 hours of maths, you'll be amazed at the results! (because you have covered all the work the night before, the most crucial time lol) :uhhuh:

white_spazzy

but why?
HSC
the cram method does not work for every one some pplz end up too stressed and anxious before the exam in which case going into the exam you are not calm enough.
pplz dont forget that you need to have a clear mind before you study so get a lil quite time before studying and just before the exam..it will help you sort out your thoughts

Sentient_667

HSC
The way I see it, if I cram study for any exam (especially math), I get too nervous on the day of the exam, and forget everything I crammed. However, if I do progressive study for the whole year, I don't forget what I've learned, as it is etched into my brain...

Different methods for different people.

Sentient_667

HSC
That's a good strategy, the more you practice something, the better you get at it, and on top of that, you can remember it better.

Good stuff, keep it up!

Trev: That cramming method does NOT work. It isn't worth people's time to read crap like that.

Last edited:

ahacohen

HSC
I Agree

Sentient_667 said:
That's a good strategy, the more you practice something, the better you get at it, and on top of that, you can remember it better.

Good stuff, keep it up!

Trev: That cramming method does NOT work. It isn't worth people's time to read crap like that.
TREV i think you should stop giving people your idiotic advice, and pay attention to your own study methods, because look out you are going to fail.

craz

HSC
There are some people who naturally can cram and get great marks for it! However, there are some who can't (like me!) who get really nervous and it really does not help the stress level! When studying I found doing exam papers a great help. The formula sheet is a piece of cake and the more questions you do ( a variety mind you!) that you get better. Like its better to do that than focusing too much on one (sometimes you might need to - but dont do it for longer than a day or two) I don't actually agree with the cards. They are not that useful....than past exam papers and your textbook.

craz

HSC
i think that's a bit rude that last post. Cramming is not good for all. Some can, some can't. Study hard in the best way for you! Sometimes you can be a morning person or a night person. Do what you can naturally...

well for my half yearly i just read my textbook, and concidering i got 90% and 1st in the grade for that i think i did pretty damn well for just a quick over view.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Just past papers.....General dosent bother me that much, i usually dont study much for it at all lol.... (In fact in the Half yearlies i hadnt studied or even DONE the course, and still got a decent mark :p)

HSC
Just do all questions required in the book, and at the end i'd do the "challenge" (ie. hard ass) questions, maths is the only subject i cna cram for because the concepts for general are so easy to pick up

beezjaxx

HSC
Li0n said:
wow thats a relief!
even in english? are you allowed to write the section III question 2 and stuff after as well?

Yeah, same goes with English - though i am pretty sure the Section and Question part has to be done during exam time......... i had my English trials today and the monitering staff said they will only give us time to write our names ONLY.

Invalid-User

HSC
everyone should figure out their own study methods, mine is just reading over things and mentally doing questions whilst lying in the sun getting a tan, that works well for me because i dont see it as something that i hate. i usually just write a few notes on things im a little vague about or go through the answers sheet to a paper when im really stuck with the working out side of things as i make stupid mistakes. id have to say cramming can work if you are naturally smart and not stressed about the hsc, if you have confidence in what you are doing you are more likely to succeed in life and be happy.

HSC
yes! our teacher said that doing past papers is the same as driving extra hours for your P's test. . . and i lobve my pink book!!! i may save that one from being burned

Celebrant

HSC
I do tons and tons of practice questions from various textbooks - it really helps to get it all in your head and keep it there

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)