How do you think you did? (1 Viewer)

polomolo

HSC
Anti-Mathmite said:
ESL? What a joke. I don't see anyone on this thread having trouble putting a sentence together.
trust me its nothing easier than advanced or standard

Tom-Tom

Hmmm

Anti-Mathmite said:
ESL? What a joke. I don't see anyone on this thread having trouble putting a sentence together.
I cant believe this person actually said that! I think it is a fair go. We (esl/overseas student) hav to do exactly the same exam in other subject so no advantage there. its bloody hard 2 produce business studies projects or history essay in english n u never can do as good as students who hav been speaking or listening english since they were born. its good to hav sucha english course.

jaafar

u rock my world
HSC
to "polomolo"

u r such a loser. who goes into the hsc not knowing how much time u have to complete each paper.cant u read the first page of the exam?do you know that paper 2 is on thursday?????????????????????. its common sense that if u start 15min late , then u finish 15min late. dorrrrrr. u can always ask the supervisors wat time u finish.
oh well , toooooooo bad.,

MarsBarz

HSC
Not to mention that the advance essay question was tenfolds easier than the ESL question. Sometimes I wonder why I dropped advanced to ESL.
Advance and standard has this really simple generic essay question that any prepared essay could basically fit without any modification.
I see too much misconception about ESL. Sure some of the people in the course are illiterate but I know that a lot have very good english skills and could compete with some of the advanced kids. Hell, I used to do advanced and it wasn't that hard.

El Pueblo Unido

HSC
I think I'm doing fine for the first section. On the essay though, I guess I sucked a lot. "Journey is a popular theme" that is just so wrong. I don't know what to write for this one. The other part of the question was okay though. I wrote about four pages, cause my handwriting is not that big. However, the language features that I wrote kinda directed to support the thesis statement, which was a complete flaw.

This essay question sucks. In my opinion, it was waaaay to abstract.

desperate cat

HSC
u r giving me a heart attack! but do we have a question on "compare text 2 and text 3"?

olchik

HSC
tomcats said:
i bet you have absolutely no idea of what this thread is about, how the hell can you pass the exam in MAY!! and do we ever have a "higher intermidiate level" in esl? i highly doubt that.....
Oh, maybe I just messed up. I thought you were talking about this exam that I have taken. Probably they are two different exams, but it was also ESL.
Anyway, tomcats, you need to take it easy!

Best regards~

tomcats

HSC
desperate cat said:
u r giving me a heart attack! but do we have a question on "compare text 2 and text 3"?
i just went through the paper again, as far as i can see, in section 1 you are not asked to compare texts but are required to refer to at least two texts in that "motivational" speech. however for section 2, making connections between the texts is essential in order to a good mark. hope that answers ur question. :)

and btw, can anyone tell me how many techniques do you need for question e) ?? i rushed through that question and only had 1 for language and 1 for visual.

El Pueblo Unido

HSC
Umm.. as far as I can remember, the last number on the first section asked you to compare at least two text in making your speech. I used the first and third text. The second text was not so useful in making my speech.

I think what he meant is linking each texts (four texts) in the ESSAY (part 2)

tomcats:

Well.. I think I did three language features and one visual..I'm not so sure, I'm kinda oblivious. One thing that I am sure is, the number of my points matched exactly with the set marks in the questions, so one point one mark.

tomcats

HSC
i thought it was one mark for the technique and one mark for example and effect, thats why i only had two techniques, the question was not that clear, those stupid hsc examiners!! :angry:

Tom-Tom

desperate cat said:
r u talkin about da 8 marks speech question? sayin "write ur speech . use idea n info. from at least 2 of da text .....blah blah??

polomolo

HSC
OMG, GUYS PAPER 2 WAS THE BEST!!!!!
i sound so excited, coz i really think i did excellent in that. especially the listening...it was like 'TOOOO EASY' the guy is talking so slow that you cant miss nothing lol

what did you guys think?

tomcats

HSC
polomolo said:
OMG, GUYS PAPER 2 WAS THE BEST!!!!!
i sound so excited, coz i really think i did excellent in that. especially the listening...it was like 'TOOOO EASY' the guy is talking so slow that you cant miss nothing lol

what did you guys think?
man, you are making me feel even worse now , i was disgusted by paper 2 questions, "how language influence the way we relate to others and world"? wtf, ive never come across these sort of questions b4. and what is that "information sheet"? man, i totally stuffed up..........

still hoping for a 85+ though... :(

desperate cat

HSC
the English For study part is shit!!! i was so panic that i didn't explain well enough, i should've use some examples

polomolo

HSC
tomcats said:
man, you are making me feel even worse now , i was disgusted by paper 2 questions, "how language influence the way we relate to others and world"? wtf, ive never come across these sort of questions b4. and what is that "information sheet"? man, i totally stuffed up..........

still hoping for a 85+ though... :(

oh man...that question was easy...if you looked at what the syllabus required by us and wrote your essay according to that (your practice essays)...you wouldv realized that your essay answers to this question...coz i rewrote my essay last night using the sylabus thing which was "there are three ways in which our perceptions of and relationships with others and the world are shaped, through written, spoken and visual language" some shit like that...

and for the information sheet...at first i was like wtf is this...but then when i kinda tried to remmber what my tutor had tought me, i remembered how he said that "study guides" are written in Informative lanuguage...so like i wrekon its just a "study guide on living and working in the community"...
what you had to do is explain everything in a very "straight forward" way and put the info in point form and repeat things, and write in big letters like "MAKE SURE YOU USE FORMAL LANGUAGE" or watever.

yeh dats how i did it...hope i was right :rolleyes:

HSCExamMarker

HSC
N/A
for english for study..

the information sheet thing was very confusing..

what i did was like.,.. i seperated into few chunks

and hav big headings and underlines

and explained it in pretty simple language rather than hard vocab or structure

however, some of my friends actually wrote an essay for dat..

the way i did is rite? (headings, concise points)

desperate cat

HSC
polomolo said:
what you had to do is explain everything in a very "straight forward" way and put the info in point form and repeat things, and write in big letters like "MAKE SURE YOU USE FORMAL LANGUAGE" or watever.

yeh dats how i did it...hope i was right :rolleyes:

but i phoned the advice line before and asked if we could use point form when writing a feature article and pamphlet. the teacher said if u r well prepared, you wouldn't use point form, which implied he didin't encourage us to use point form.
i dunno.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)