How does a Band 6 work? (1 Viewer)

Inuraht138

HSC
I am a bit confused at this because I always thought that just getting 90+ in external instantly gets you a band 6 on the subject, regardless of how well or how badly you did in internal assessments. But recently I have been hearing people say that it is difficult to get a Band 6 if you didn't do so well in internals? How does assessments and cohort performances affect someone's ability to get the top band in a subject?
Someone help me clear this confusion. Thanks :)

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
This is how it's calculated in a nutshell, based on what I've seen from other posts: (Please correct me if I'm wrong in what I've posted)

1. Your internal mark determines your rank
2. Your rank then determines what your HSC exam mark is averaged with, so if you're coming 5th internally, your HSC exam mark will be averaged with the 5th highest external mark, this is why the performance of your cohort must be good so that you won't be dragged down if you are low ranked in that subject
3. Scaling takes place and BOOM, there's your final mark

Inuraht138

HSC
Hmmm so a Band 6 correlates to the final HSC mark, not the raw exam mark? sorry if this sounds really stupid of me to ask

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
Hmmm so a Band 6 correlates to the final HSC mark, not the raw exam mark? sorry if this sounds really stupid of me to ask
Your raw mark undergoes scaling, moderating and aligning, which is basically what I've mentioned above.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
1. You sit you school assessment marks which are sent into BOSTES (not a rank but a mark is submitted)
2. You sit the HSC exams.
3. There is a panel at the HSC marking centre who look at the paper and the descriptions of the different bands and determine the raw mark 'cut-offs' for each band for the exams e.g. one year they may say that the Band 6 cut-off is 87 and the next 84.
4. The exam marks for your cohort are moderated to become the assessment marks by making the top exam mark as the top assessment mark and the bottom exam mark the bottom assessment mark (except in the case of ties as then these marks are averaged e.g. in the case of two students being sent in equal 1st the top two exam marks are averaged to get the top internal mark). NB They do not simply match the exam mark to the rank for the internals. Having established the range of marks they then allocate the assessment marks taking into account the relative gaps between the ranks as well e.g. ranked 5th sent in 20 marks behind but in the exam the 5th exam mark is only 1 mark behind 4th the relative gap will come into play and the assessment mark will be closer to the 20 mark difference.
5. The aligned exam mark (the mark gained from the committee who determined the raw mark needed to reach the different bands) and the moderated assessment marks are then averaged. That final mark is then used to determine the band. If the average is 90+ the mark is a Band 6. If it is in the 80s a Band 5 etc.

Helium head

HSC
This is how it's calculated in a nutshell, based on what I've seen from other posts: (Please correct me if I'm wrong in what I've posted)

2. Your rank then determines what your HSC exam mark is averaged with, so if you're coming 5th internally, your HSC exam mark will be averaged with the 5th highest external mark, this is why the performance of your cohort must be good so that you won't be dragged down if you are low ranked in that subject
Ok so SAY just say that the person coming 1st or 5th or anything high up goes to the hsc exam and sits there and doesn't do anything and gets a 0 , then what happens , the person who came first in the hsc would get their own mark and 0 divided by 2?

D94

HSC
N/A

I'm curious, who told you this explanation? Especially number 2.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)