how does ext 2 english scale? (1 Viewer)

fantasia

HSC
hmm it doesnt seem that ext 2 english scales too well.. is it because alot of students get band 6's?

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
English Extension 2 is highly looked upon. This course are for those that are passionate about writing and because of this attitude, they are driven naturally to E4 (The highest extension band). If you love writing, you'll do well.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
and to add, it scales excellently. It is, remember, an extension course :)

EDIT: it scales well.

Last edited:

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
Excellently? I wouldnt go that far. It scales marginally below 3u maths doesnt it?

fantasia

HSC
hmm i tried out the SAM thing and 45/50 and i was in the top 35%.. so i assume alot of people do well in 4unit english?

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
LaraB said:
don't rely on SAM for judging where your marks will be - i used it just to get a general idea...once i came up at 99.2, once at 86 so i was a bit sceptical about it, so i put my brother and friends marks in as they were last year - my brothers ended up being estimated 5 UAI's higher, a friend who got 88 in HSC was estimated at 94 and a friend who got 99.6 was estimated at 90 and a friend who got 86 was estimated at 78....

so yeah - it can be very inaaccurate - it may be useful but you're probably better off talking to your teachers and careers advisors - they can surprisingly be useful in estimating where you stand in these kinda areas :)
Erm, i doubt it. More than likely your putting the wrong info in. Theres no way SAM is that inaccurate. And those percentile splits which were mentioned are spot on for that year. Enough promoting of SAM. Im getting back to study.

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
fantasia said:
hmm i tried out the SAM thing and 45/50 and i was in the top 35%.. so i assume alot of people do well in 4unit english?
Ive meant absolute idiots who have gotten 47-49/50 for ext.2 english. Truly a haven for people willing to waste a hell of a lot of time for a good mark in the end. (They get owned in ext.one though). *insert evil laugh*

fantasia

HSC
yes it better not be that inaccurate, otherwise SAM has given me a false sense of hope.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
<!---->
SAM certainly isn't that inaccurate, and I'd encourage you to provide data to prove me wrong if you speak the truth.

fantasia said:
hmm it doesnt seem that ext 2 english scales too well.. is it because alot of students get band 6's?
http://www.boredofstudies.org/scaledmeans.php

I believe it scales quite well - twice as well as physics or chemistry, for example. It's not the highest scaling course, but the scaling certainly isn't negligible either. If you exclude languages, it's one of the top-scaling courses.

The reason that the Extension 2 course in English doesn't scale as well as the only other Extension 2 course (in Mathematics) is because the scaling is determined by the performance of the Extension 2 students on the Advanced paper.

Maths Ext 2 students do much better on the Maths Ext 1 paper than the English Ext 2 students do on the Advanced paper. This is obviously because the Maths Ext 2 course builds directly on the skills learned in the Maths Ext 1 course - the same cannot be said for English Ext 2.

matt_f64

HSC
N/A
yeah well SAM is supposedly reasonably accurate but i know ppl who have put their aligned marks in after their UAIs come out and SAM has given them an inaccurate UAI by up to 5 (eg. they got 90 and SAM said 95) ..... but then again i know ppl who have put their aligned marks in and their UAI is almost exactly wat SAM says.
one reason that u mite have the wrong UAI come out is that u have way different assessment marks... so if u get really bad assessment marks and then really good aligned exam marks.. it averages these and ur UAI will be down..... so really wen u put aligned marks in the SAM thing it is assuming ur assessment marks are reasonably close to this and not way way off...

well at least thats how i see it hmmmm

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)