How does TVET course Information Technology scale? (1 Viewer)

HSC
hi guys. im new to this forumn. i would just like to know how the tvet course information technology would scale? I do 3 u maths, advanced english, physics engineering studies and information technology at tafe. can u also pls inform me if i would be able to score a decent atar, and whether my subjects are scaling subjects or not. i plan to do 4 u maths next year.

Girls

HSC
Based on what you've said there, you only do 11 units, so you wouldn't qualify to finish the prelim course, which is a requirement to sit the HSC.

Correct me if I'm wrong though.

But yes, the subjects (minus IT) scale okay and you are definitely capable of a decent atar if you excel in all of them. 4U maths scales like a boss. Don't worry about scaling though, as long as you do well in everything you shouldn't have any trouble.

theind1996

HSC
N/A
Information Technology, I'm not going to lie, scales poorly like most Cat B subjects. However, it isn't very detailed/doesn't delve into heaps of knowledge (from what my friends have told me) so it should be easier to score 90% + marks than a subject such as 4U Maths or Physics.

HSC
Yeah i do photography 1 unit. forgot to include that. One more question. If i also get 95 + in IT, will that be able to assist me in a decent atar?

Girls

HSC
Yeah i do photography 1 unit. forgot to include that. One more question. If i also get 95 + in IT, will that be able to assist me in a decent atar?
It depends what you consider to be decent, but yes it's possible, 95 in anything won't get scaled down too dramatically.

Gigacube

HSC
hi guys. im new to this forumn. i would just like to know how the tvet course information technology would scale? I do 3 u maths, advanced english, physics engineering studies and information technology at tafe. can u also pls inform me if i would be able to score a decent atar, and whether my subjects are scaling subjects or not. i plan to do 4 u maths next year.
Read this if you're worried about your ATAR: http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=259484
Take a look at UAC's 2011 Table A3 for information on how a particular subject scaled last year.

If you got a mark of 93 in the Information Technology Exam last year, it would have been scaled to 76.4. Yes, this does sound horrible but if you can do well in your other subjects you can still achieve a good ATAR.

katharinetat

HSC
Uni Grad
Oh crap. I want to get an ATAR of 99.7+ but I'm doing IT TVET too. I wonder if I still have a chance. I'm thinking of taking up 4 unit maths next year though (my sig shows my subjects, SLR only runs for 1 year and gets dropped at the start of year 12). Thoughts?

Also, if I do well on the IT TVET exam, say I got 95 (but gets scaled down horribly), and in ext 2 maths I get a scaled mark of above 95 but the original raw mark was less than 95, which mark would actually get counted into the 10 best units for my HSC?

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
Oh crap. I want to get an ATAR of 99.7+ but I'm doing IT TVET too. I wonder if I still have a chance. I'm thinking of taking up 4 unit maths next year though (my sig shows my subjects, SLR only runs for 1 year and gets dropped at the start of year 12). Thoughts?

Also, if I do well on the IT TVET exam, say I got 95 (but gets scaled down horribly), and in ext 2 maths I get a scaled mark of above 95 but the original raw mark was less than 95, which mark would actually get counted into the 10 best units for my HSC?
I believe it's very possible. You just have to be aiming really high in the relatively easy subject (really high 90's). There was a guy on here that got 97 atar doing general math, two tvet courses and some other low-mid scaling subs. I believe he got 98 or 99 for IT

Last edited:

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad

the higher scaled mark gets counted so yeah.
You're top 10 units would most likely end up to be Adv english, 4 unit maffs, legal and chem.

Gigacube

HSC

Take a look at UAC Table A1. You'll find IT on page 3. The last column shows you the maximum ATAR achieved by a student whose 2 units of IT went towards the calculation of their ATAR. In 2011, the highest ATAR achieved by someone whose 2 units of IT went towards their ATAR was 98.40. So yes, I suggest you take 4 unit maths if you want an ATAR of 99.7+.

I believe it's very possible. You just have to be aiming really high in the relatively easy subject (really high 90's). There was a guy on here that got 97 atar doing general math, two tvet courses and some other low-mid scaling subs. I believe he got 98 or 99 for IT
TVET courses are considered to be category B courses. Only 1 category B course can contribute towards an ATAR.

I'm adding this just in case people get confused: TVET courses are exactly same as VET courses except they are delivered through TAFE.

katharinetat

HSC
Uni Grad
Yay thanks! Gives me some hope. Just gotta do well in 4 unit maths then! :D

the higher scaled mark gets counted so yeah.
You're top 10 units would most likely end up to be Adv english, 4 unit maffs, legal and chem.
Maffs. Haha :p

Take a look at UAC Table A1. You'll find IT on page 3. The last column shows you the maximum ATAR achieved by a student whose 2 units of IT went towards the calculation of their ATAR. In 2011, the highest ATAR achieved by someone whose 2 units of IT went towards their ATAR was 98.40. So yes, I suggest you take 4 unit maths if you want an ATAR of 99.7+.

TVET courses are considered to be category B courses. Only 1 category B course can contribute towards an ATAR.

I'm adding this just in case people get confused: TVET courses are exactly same as VET courses except they are delivered through TAFE.
Alright, 4 unit maths here I come! I just gotta stay in the top 30 for Preliminary 3u maths to be able to do it at my school :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)