How frequent should I write practise responses? (1 Viewer)

Liam4

HSC
I am not sure how frequent I should write practise responses for my subjects. I was told by someone to do them a lot in year 12 but not so much in year 11. Is this person right?

Thank you

studiesofboard

HSC
Practice responses are good to do as you can use them for exams as well as the HSC but for year 11 I don't think it is that necessary (unless you want to). I think it will be more useful for year 12. Year 11 is basically just an overview of senior year and a basis of what is going to be taught in year 12 it is a bludge really.

Last edited:

AKONS

HSC
In the context that practice responses are like past paper questions and preparation, and not simply revision questions.

I believe that practice questions should be done after you have mostly mastered the content or around 3 weeks before an assessment.

In the contexts of prelim and hsc, I am not sure however I think it is likely just that resources for prelim aren’t as extensive as for HSC as practice responses and past papers tend to vary across schools for Prelim, resulting in less practice responses available and thus needed to be done.
However keep in mind, this is just a personal opinion. Try different techniques to see what works with you as after all everyone’s different.

gudetamago

HSC
Uni Grad
I believe that practice questions should be done after you have mostly mastered the content
^I'll back this point up!

Definitely learn and master your content first, and then slowly start to answer some practice questions. I found that answering practice questions were more helpful once I had sufficient knowledge about the topic, and then I could use this exercise as a way to refine and better my notes or to study the styles of Qs they can throw at you and how to best answer them.

Maybe2004

HSC
It depends on the person, as the previous comment said, you need to know your content. If you do, then you should do practice questions as frequently as possible. Maybe do MORE of them in Year 12 but do a sufficient amount in Year 11.

Mikunnn~

HSC
It depends on the person, as the previous comment said, you need to know your content.
Backing this one up as well. Practice questions are only good for "practice" when you have the content mostly down and pat. For Prelim, yes there will be less resources, and yes maybe not as many people write practice responses when compared with the HSC. Regardless, do whatever works best, if you like writing practice responses, then write, regardless whether you are doing the Preliminary or HSC course. Tbh all my seniors have assured me that year 11 is an "experiment" year so there's really no need to submit practice responses, but please, do whatever works best for you.

Abu26

HSC
do you know a place that provides questions for extended responses and sample answers

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)