How hard is Actuarial Studies (1 Viewer)

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
yeh, interest should be your key factor, without interest you wont have the amount of motivation to do all the work... and there will be alot of consistent work if you wish to excel in actuarial studies.

about the hardness of actl1001, one of the tutors i had before basically said that they so try to fail quite a few people and generally set and mark assessments/tests harshly so that people drop out at the end of 1st year rather than at the end of 2nd year.

edit: also everything always looks easier in hindsight, your quiz this year looked alot easier than the one i did last year, but that could be because i learned alot more now...whereas last year it was more of a wtf moment.

Last edited:

santaslayer

HSC
You should do it if you are interested in the money bit.
I mean, what else is gonna get you motivated then the sight of cold hard cash? :p

I Robot

HSC
Let me guess...

Pauline Hanson? no, wait...Amanda Vanstone...

:eek:

Anyways, don't be scared of Actuarial Studies.

I only did 3U maths (like t-i-m-m-y) and it's good to give yourself a challenge in life.

Set yourself a goal and see if you can surpass it, otherwise, why bother going to university?

Last edited:

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
as timmy said tho, the expected wage by choosing to do actuarial is actually not that high... if you want money, do acct/law instead.

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
I said:
Here is Quiz 1 from ACTL1001 (Average 40.24, minimum mark 2, maximum mark 84)

and as an added bonus, here's Assignment 1, which I haven't started on o_O
I, would just like to say one word

shit.

I'm taking macq out of my prefs tomorrow :(

BillyMak

Silent majority
HSC
I said:
Here is Quiz 1 from ACTL1001 (Average 40.24, minimum mark 2, maximum mark 84)
Apparently the person that got 84 was the guy that topped the state in 4-unit last year. Can anyone confirm this?

I Robot

HSC
LOL...yeah, ngai topped the 1st Quiz...what do you expect?

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
an actuary is professional recognised analyst. analysts don't make money, they cost money, and thus their pay doesnt include commissions or anything like that and is capped in some sense. moving beyond that you become more of a manager i guess rather than a pure analyst.

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
on a Science scholarship for maths =p...i saw him at the ceremony.

RIZAL

HSC
Actuaries are not restricted to being bean counters. They look at real world financial problems and create solutions that add value. They are spreading out into varying roles nowadays and they are by no means restricted to the typical life/general insurance roles.

as an example, look at data mining. Although not just performed by Actuaries, this involves looking at the vast volumes of data stored by businesses concerning their customers/clients and applying actuarial techniques to pick out hidden patterns and links to glean valuable information that was unknown before.

serge

HSC
at the macquarie actuarial open day... the head lecturer said
if you wanna breeze through uni doing something easy
chose medicine or law...if you want it hard do actuarial
i think that sums up actuarial pretty well

jonathan__

HSC
okay now that statement is scary...I hope he sed it to scare off people who were contemplating and not sure of wat they wanted

jonathan__

HSC
btw..are most of the people doing actuarial from top selective schools (e.g. ruse, baulkham hills)? Or all? =p

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
they always try and scare you...i think law, med and actaurial are all pretty difficult, but in different ways...you cant compare them directly...
We've got a nice mix in actuarial i think (im at mq). Epping and Normanhurst boys (and a fair few nth syd/syd boys), me and another guy from Oakhill, id imagine a few ruse/baulko people but dont exactly know them (i assume theyre always in hte front of lectures :p)

lawforever

HSC
serge said:
at the macquarie actuarial open day... the head lecturer said
if you wanna breeze through uni doing something easy
chose medicine or law...if you want it hard do actuarial
i think that sums up actuarial pretty well
that z too exaggerated.

i can't see medicine or law be any easier than actuarial

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
besides, the difficulty of a subject depends on the person as well, a more mathematically inclined person might find actl easier than law while it may be the other way around for an artsy person

nli86

HSC
For all you guys doing acturial studies who did well in 4u maths, did u ppl go to coaching or tutoring and did it help you in 4u?. What happens when in actuarial studies your only resource is the lectuer and from what some ppl have said they teach only enough for you to pass.

lawforever

HSC
nli86 said:
For all you guys doing acturial studies who did well in 4u maths, did u ppl go to coaching or tutoring and did it help you in 4u?. What happens when in actuarial studies your only resource is the lectuer and from what some ppl have said they teach only enough for you to pass.
do as many exercises as you can. Maths and actuarial are the courses which emphasize on "applying the theory" you learnt from lecture.

hence, tutoring is not that necessary for maths / actuarial

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)