How hard is extension 1 maths if it's self taught? (1 Viewer)

sab13562

HSC
Basically the title, I am interested in learning it, but the highest difficulty level maths I've done is year 10 advanced maths and I am currently doing standard 2.

AKONS

HSC
Not as difficult as you'd think. With the right process it can be even more effective than learning in class.

This is how I taught myself extension 1 math:
  • Read Cambridge textbook explanation.
  • If I still don't understand it look up an Eddie Woo video.
  • Do questions from said book (you don't need to do every question! You'll slowly gain confidence in your own judgement. If you believe your understanding isn't good enough just do another question).
  • Check answers against the WORKED solutions.
  • Past papers, past papers, past papers.

sab13562

HSC
Not as difficult as you'd think. With the right process it can be even more effective than learning in class.

This is how I taught myself extension 1 math:
  • Read Cambridge textbook explanation.
  • If I still don't understand it look up an Eddie Woo video.
  • Do questions from said book (you don't need to do every question! You'll slowly gain confidence in your own judgement. If you believe your understanding isn't good enough just do another question).
  • Check answers against the WORKED solutions.
  • Past papers, past papers, past papers.
Thank you so much! Will definitely keep your advice in mind.

cossine

HSC
Basically the title, I am interested in learning it, but the highest difficulty level maths I've done is year 10 advanced maths and I am currently doing standard 2.
Is this for uni? You may find some uni books have yr 12 content. So that might be worth looking into.

Somes courses may require specific content from textbooks so you may not need all the content from 3 unit. So you may not need understand mathematical induction though you may come across it.

sab13562

HSC
Is this for uni? You may find some uni books have yr 12 content. So that might be worth looking into.

Somes courses may require specific content from textbooks so you may not need all the content from 3 unit. So you may not need understand mathematical induction though you may come across it.
Yeah. They say it's recommended, but not a requisite.

sab13562

HSC
Ah I see. Thank you. I don't need it till my second year so I'll definitely look into textbooks next year.

Porogamiii

HSC
While I've only used it for maths advanced, Khan Academy really is one of the best sites for learning math and I def plan on using it going into uni (better than Eddie Woo imo). You just need to find where the US way of organising their content matches up with the AU syllabus, but hey in the end maths is maths.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Why are you interested in Maths Ext 1, when you are only doing Standard 2?

Edit: Sorry I didn't read the other posts.

Last edited:

icycledough

HSC
I believe you need Advanced knowledge to do Ext 1, as Ext 1 covers the Advanced topics plus goes into more detail into it (for e.g with integration, Extension 1 introduces integration by substitution, which isn't covered in the Advanced syllabus). But it definitely is possible.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)