• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

how hard is it to get above 90 scaled assessment mark for phys chem and eco? (1 Viewer)

T

trowla17

Hey guys, is a 90 just the top 10% in the grade? If anyone has gotten above 90 in these subjects can you tell me how much work u did or what you studied from and how you studied?
Please help me out.. Ive been dying to get in this course for a while now... Thnx guys.

deswa1

HSC
Lol it depends on how good your school is. Like at my school, around rank 20th/80 for chem will get a 90 assessment. At other schools, no one will get a B6 at all so there will be no one on a 90 assessment mark. What is your school rank and your rank in those subjects at your school?

Demise

HSC
Lol it depends on how good your school is. Like at my school, around rank 20th/80 for chem will get a 90 assessment. At other schools, no one will get a B6 at all so there will be no one on a 90 assessment mark. What is your school rank and your rank in those subjects at your school?
School rank is irrelevant tbh, it's about how well your cohort does in THAT year, it's possible for a student from a rank 600 school to get 99.95 if they come 1st in all externals and do better than the state in the externals. The school rank is all relative and may be completely off in the current year, so please stop spreading false rumours around.

barbernator

HSC
School rank is irrelevant tbh, it's about how well your cohort does in THAT year, it's possible for a student from a rank 600 school to get 99.95 if they come 1st in all externals and do better than the state in the externals. The school rank is all relative and may be completely off in the current year, so please stop spreading false rumours around.
lol dude they arent false rumours. If I went to james ruse and came first in 3u maths, you cannot tell me that im going to be expecting below 100. Trends are quite consistent for most of the top rank schools, and if they do vary, it is very slightly, so deswa1s statement is quite accurate

deswa1

HSC
Yeah I know this- that's why I never referenced school ranks anywhere in my post. All I'm trying to say is that if you are at a school that is academically stronger (e.g. a selective school) and their marks in the HSC are higher, then a lower school rank will still give a good assessment mark. If though you are at a school that does not get any band 6's THAT year, then its impossible to get a 90 assessment...

jenslekman

HSC
Yeah I know this- that's why I never referenced school ranks anywhere in my post. All I'm trying to say is that if you are at a school that is academically stronger (e.g. a selective school) and their marks in the HSC are higher, then a lower school rank will still give a good assessment mark. If though you are at a school that does not get any band 6's THAT year, then its impossible to get a 90 assessment...
+1

Demise

HSC
lol dude they arent false rumours. If I went to james ruse and came first in 3u maths, you cannot tell me that im going to be expecting below 100. Trends are quite consistent for most of the top rank schools, and if they do vary, it is very slightly, so deswa1s statement is quite accurate
IF you go to James Ruse college it's because you're extremely intelligent to be able to get in. Not just, oh hey let's go to James Ruse, I'll automatically get in and get 99... Not how it works lol. If a kid capable of going to James Ruse doesn't go into JR college, he/she can go to a school in the 600s and still come first and score 99+, they just have to be motivated enough. So no, his statement is both correct and incorrect, and my statement is also correct. Please think of the scenario logically.

If you can come first in James Ruse 3u maths, you can come first in a majority of schools throughout the state. Socially, that's right that you'd expect below 98 or so, but things do change and this year we may have a genius doing 3u maths that may beat JR college.

EDIT:
First in 3u is from 42nd school in the state.

Last edited:

Demise

HSC
Glad we could agree.

Aykay

HSC
Uni Grad
School ranks are not irrelevant.
Aligning occurs which, although reflects your cohort strength, does affect your marks.

I was at a school which was ranked about 100 and now I'm in one ranked in the top 10.
You can't say that, if I put in the same effort in either school, I would get the same or higher HSC mark in my previous school.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
The rank itself is not actually relevant as it's the cohort that matters but a strong previous record means that the proceeding years probably are roughly equal levels - it's rare for schools rank 300 to jump to 100 and back or 100 to 50 and back etc. With that said, either way, a SCALED 90 in HSC means you need ~93 in the actual HSC, equating to approximately top 3% (guess) or so which is hard. If the OP is talking about 90 ALIGNED which I'm pretty sure he is, then it's usually top ~10% - not too insane.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)