How hard is it to get into a UNSW Co-op? (1 Viewer)

HazzRat

H̊ͯaͤz͠z̬̼iẻͩ̊͏̖͈̪
HSC
Hello all,
I’ve been looking through some courses recently. I’m now thinking of applying to the UNSW ‘Banking and Finance’ Co-op (when I’m in year 12). This course has an atar requirement of 96 however even with this prerequisite it’s still competitive to get in. This includes interviews and resumes. Do any of you know how competitive it actually is to get into a UNSW Co-op? Do any of you know what they’re like?

idkkdi

HSC
Hello all,
I’ve been looking through some courses recently. I’m now thinking of applying to the UNSW ‘Banking and Finance’ Co-op (when I’m in year 12). This course has an atar requirement of 96 however even with this prerequisite it’s still competitive to get in. This includes interviews and resumes. Do any of you know how competitive it actually is to get into a UNSW Co-op? Do any of you know what they’re like?
banking and finance is mostly 99+s with good resumes and interviews iirc

HazzRat

H̊ͯaͤz͠z̬̼iẻͩ̊͏̖͈̪
HSC
i looked at a unsw co-op guy's linkedin and it was crazy (lots of volunteering, competitions).. i'd say it's pretty competitive given the amount of spotss
rip. I just did the same:

Grade: ATAR: 99.85, Dux, All-rounder, Economics State Rank 8
- Peer support leader
- Peer tutor
- Debating captain
- Studied: Mathematics Ext. 1, Mathematics Ext. 2, English Advanced, Economics, Geography, and Business Studies

bluepumpkins

HSC
anyone know how competitive the comp sci or swe co-op is? i have a feeling it'd be less competitive than banking or actuarial because there are more sponsors but idk

fuzi

HSC
UBS isn't your only option for a cadetship anymore. Barrenjoey and Macquarie both offer cadetships through the same Professional Cadetships Australia. Speaking as a first year cadet, I can tell you now that my resume is not nearly as impressive as that and I still got a position. Can't speak for UBS, but for these companies, it isn't just about having an amazing resume filled with stuff, the important thing is why is any of it relevant or why does it matter?

Also having social skills, being able to talk normally without prepared responses. I know that sounds strange to say but other applicants I interacted with had perfectly prepared responses and introductions of themselves for all the typical interview questions. They will ask you curveball questions, and the practiced facade quickly crumbles. More importantly, they aren't looking for a robot, you are going to be someone they are working with and interacting with daily. If you're an impersonal robot, that's not exactly appealing.

In the end, just apply for it, there is no telling what will happen, you can't rule yourself out from the get go. Best of luck!

pogchampion

HSC
Just to put into perspective how hard it is to get into COOP: there was 812 applications last year spanning over 2438 program preferences. Out of those 812 applicants, 327 of them were offered an interview. And out of those that were offered an interview, 84 people received the scholarship.
I think it's 72 scholars at the moment. They showed the figures at the presentation but I foolishly did not take a photo, lol.

pogchampion

HSC
Hi! I was fortunate enough to get accepted into the UNSW COOP program for computer science :)

The COOP program is just as competitive as you imagined to get in. For the sake of respect for my peers, I will leave it at that.

In terms of the scholars themselves; I found that everyone I've met has been, for lack of a better expression, really well-rounded. I guess since you asked about ATARs first, the range of atars was just as you said; they mostly tend towards 99+.
Beyond academics, most people have an interesting story to tell about interests or extracurriculars that they pursuit to a commendable degree.
I also found that most scholars were really sociable and very rational personalities.

Personally, I didn't know of the program until the middle of Year 12, but I was already pretty involved in nerd stuff because I enjoyed it. You definitely have an advantage seeing as you have the opportunity to actively partake in activities that can help your profile.

I didn't get a photograph of the stats sheet from the induction ceremony, but they had percentages of extracurriculars in the cohort.
I don't have the best memory but some of them were like: 11% completed Gold Duke of Ed, 55% were school prefects, 70% worked part time in Year 12, etc, etc.

I guess if you're starting preperation this early I would think that your chances of getting in are really great.

If you need help at all I can give feedback on your application and prepare you for your interview when the time comes (a long time lol);
matthewlimtutoring.ml

Good luck!

pogchampion

HSC
anyone know how competitive the comp sci or swe co-op is? i have a feeling it'd be less competitive than banking or actuarial because there are more sponsors but idk
At the moment there's 7 in Seng and 7 in Compsci. I think there's 13 in Actl.
Compsci, Seng and Actl are the most academically competitive I think. What I mean by this is, a lot of people who are applying for those streams will have incredible ATARs. However, in the COOP interview they do not know about your ATAR, so it kind of doesn't matter. That being said, I still believe that the aforementioned streams are the most competitive.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)