How has your life changed...? (1 Viewer)

Lori.

HSC
...since starting the HSC?

Sometimes I think that the HSC is some sort of absurd experiment thought up by the BOS: "Let's put a quantity of students into a pressure cooker, make them study for 5 hours a night in order for them to get out, and see how their lives fall apart..."
Maybe I'm the only one who thinks that, but surely I'm not the only one whose life has changed?

Post your gains, sacrifices, anything that has changed!

here are some of mine:

1. I've gained 7 kgs; that's because I quit the gym to make time for more study and I allow myself to eat anything I like, so that I don't get depressed...
2. I have major credit card debt, because I cut down on shifts
3. I've added 20 or so new DVDs to my collection (including any movie we ever watched in english - I just thought it's important to own them :rolleyes: ) - also adding to credit card debt
4. I get to wear my own clothes once a week - otherwise i just wear my school uniform, or work uniform...

Some good things that have changed are:

5. My IQ went up 11 points since last year
6. I've learned the importance of sleep - I now make way for at least 9 hours a night :sleep:

sleepplease

HSC
hmm changes...
1. i've lost 5kg cos i tend to forget to eat when i get stressed (plus i also tend to throw up before exams)
2. i've reduced sleep to about 3 or 4 hrs a night
3. tend to be staying at schoool from ridiculous hours (7am - 5:30)
4. compltely broke cos parents wont let me work
5. considering moving out of home because of stress (advice???)
6. seem to be getting dumber, which isn't great :p :(

HSC
N/A
Okayy...my tip to all 2006ers is - do some exercise.
If you go jogging or do whatever sport you like (soccer on weekends or something) a few times a week it will help you concentrate on your work. I'm serious. When you start feeling anxious or overwhelmed just go for a run, if you can.

It's a huge stress relief on top of the obvious health benefits associated with regular exercise.

sleepplease

HSC
The_Apprentice said:
It's a huge stress relief on top of the obvious health benefits associated with regular exercise.
yeah tis the only thing that keeps me (relatively) sane - run 4km day + hockey :D

Nakashima

We GLAMOROUS
HSC
Following your trend...

1. I've lost 5 kilos.
2. I earned nothing during the HSC so I spent nothing.
3. I bought tons of textbooks for as much as $90, and sold them for about $10 each.
4. My school was infamous for not wearing uniform.
5. I've learned a fair bit during the HSC, and I was pretty happy with my UAI, although our high-achieving Chinese family friends were all "98.20? Well I suppose that's not too bad".
6. My sleeping patterns haven't changed much since I start uni at around 9 everyday, five days a week.

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
lol sucks to have the HSC ahead of you.

You don't have to sacrifice too much, it's only during stuvac when you need to cram 24/7.

Lori.

HSC
sleepplease said:
hmm changes...
1. i've lost 5kg cos i tend to forget to eat when i get stressed (plus i also tend to throw up before exams)
2. i've reduced sleep to about 3 or 4 hrs a night
3. tend to be staying at schoool from ridiculous hours (7am - 5:30)
4. compltely broke cos parents wont let me work
5. considering moving out of home because of stress (advice???)
6. seem to be getting dumber, which isn't great :p :(
I would find i great if my parents would forbid me to work during the HSC, if only they'd then support me with a sort of generous severance pay! But we're not the richest of people; my mom loves that i support myself.
So if your parents don't give you any, or a reasonable amount, of spending money, i think you should talk to them (Yes, this can be scary and very Dr Phil-esque) and reach a compromise.
As for all the stress; make sure you have some free time in between study.
Study plans are great. I make them up on sundays for the whole week on microsoft calender (i think all versions of xp have this?) and then i won't stress as much because all study and free time is allocated. Yoga is quite effective against fighting stress, too...
Do try to get your 9.5 hours of sleep a night - you'll feel so much better!

sleepplease

HSC
not working is STUPID, i'm thinking about moving out, how can i do that no money :p .. my parents are wealthy but don't belive in giving me an allowance (i know.. random)

Lori.

HSC
Is there anyone else you can get to talk to them? any relatives, siblings, grandparents?
Moving out now definately wont help you now. Maybe look into youth or study allowances offered by centrelink?

Riviet

HSC
N/A
1. Lost my social life
2. Lost alot of free time and freedom
3. Now I sleep about 6-7 hours per day.

Last edited:

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
1. Went out more, enjoyed my life (?? hahah..?)
2. Studied more
3. I go on computer less then when i used to .. well; i don't talk as much as i did.
4. I go to libraries on saturdays.
5. i've gained a few kilos. would've gained more if it weren't for my constant excercising
6. Played soccer at recess and lunch <-- great way to relieve stress. hehe. w00t for teh world cup fever!

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
1.Reducing my social life and msn time by a fair bit.
2.Being very very tired a lot of the time for no apparent reasons.
3.Making my way up to libraries and lectures
4.Spending a lot of my money on textbooks or school related material.
5.Refraining from zteh alcohol.
6.Becoming closer with friends.

Bookie

Banned
HSC
stop complaining you pussies.
try losing 5 kilos and 5 weeks (and counting) of crucial school periods.

why the fuck are you people giving up your social life and sport and stuff?

seriously.

stop complaining, get out of the house and be grateful.

BrianTheGod

HSC
well...

i surf more...
i study slightly more...
i care a little more about school...
i go out more...
um, i do better...dunno how or why...

Emph

HSC
1- developed a sort of sleep disorder
2- developed very strange eating habits
3- become paranoid
4- have a great social life
5- developed very different relationships with teachers
6- found more interesting places to study than my bedroom

ummm can't think of much more...

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Think of it this way, the moment you put your pens down for your last and final HSC exam, the relief and joy that comes with it is absolutely awesome. No more study for a long time, and your 12 years of schooling has come to an end.

And the HSC tends to go really fast, which is good and bad. Good that it's over before you know it, and bad if you need more time to study. But regardless, a sacrafice now will make a huge impact for the rest of your life. It's just not worth giving up the last half year so that you don't have to feel stressed. I remember just after my half yearly exams (which was a disaster), that I wasn't planning on going to uni becuase I'd never make it. A month after that, motivation kicked in and did my best to attain an 85 UAI. I seriously couldn't of imagined what would of happened if I really did give up at that time.

greenapple^0^

HSC
well my changes are....
dat i get tired more easily as i only sleep around 4 to 5 hrs a day normaly so i get more tired
dat i'm hating my bloody family as i don't get enough sleep and with skool work equals stress which means just seeing my family makes me hate them even for the simple reason
i'm just getting fatter which is just fucked...as i was 45 during the hoilday and now gaining to 48 fucks me up..coz i'm stress i intend to eat more and more so now i'm on diet and coz i'm on diet i kinder feel really weak so i decided not to go on a diet and i have no time for myself no time for a bit of fun so i can't even exercise coz i have no damn times... and that i'm chaning myself...i get more emotional even if the problem is so nothing i still get stressed out and den i start to hating people and myself... so it did changed alot!~! which i'm not really happy with especially the whole gaining weight thing

UnIqUe_PrInCeSs

invading your mind
I'm leaving now to go find myself. If I should ret
HSC
ok ummm what things have changed, well:

-I'm always tired and sleepy these days, like I sleep more than I'm awake.

-I've gone more mature (kind of lol)

-I watch less tv for some reason, except for the really mad shows

-I don't annoy the teachers anymore and I've actually become a teacher's pet

-I don't really listen to music that much anymore, compared to before.

-More stress duh

-I'm hardly ever hungry

-I've learned to admire nerds.

ok that's about it for 2day :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)