How helpful is Peer Mentoring? (1 Viewer)

Crylias

HSC
Can people share their experiences on the benefits of Peer Mentoring and whether it is recommended?

chewy123

OAM, FAICD, FAAS, MBBS
HSC
Peer mentoring or tutoring?

For peer mentoring it really depends on the mentor you get. Mine weren't particularly helpful but i guess it's better than nothing. I would recommend you to sign up anyway and if you don't like it just don't attend.
If you mean tutors then yes, they are highly recommended.

LordPc

HSC
my experience of mentoring was positive but just sign up and see if you like it, if you dont, then as already mentioned, you dont have to keep going

the idea of peer mentoring is to help students settle into uni. social events are held with the idea that 1st years can meet eachother outside of lectures and have some fun too. you are also given a mentor who will be able to answer those questions you have about uni but dont know who to ask about them

Crylias

HSC
The letter i received about peer mentoring from optometry @ UNSW says they assign a 4th year student to me? So i'm not too sure whether i acutally have mentoring sessions in which i can choose to 'attend.'

dawdlex3

HSC
I signed up for peer mentoring last night. Wasn't able to able their scheduled sessions since I had a lecture at that time (each mentor had about 3-4 mentees, and everyone has a different timetable). You don't lose anything if you sign up or not. Up to you.

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
Useless depending on your faculty.

I did it once 2 years ago. Only good thing about it was that I got a certificate and put it on my resume.

merillem

HSC
I had a very chilled out mentor who was laid back, introduced me to a few people and was good to have around for general questions and stuff. Can't say I'm still in touch with him or that it changed my life, but it was nice to walk into the bar in week 3 and already have a couple of people I could hang with. It was worthwhile for very little investment - agree with the comment that it depends who you get, though.

TehAzner

HSC
N/A
I found peer mentoring to be quite helpful, especially if you don't really have any established networks/relationships with other people at university. It helps build your confidence and also makes it easier to go up to some others and just start talking without getting that "awkward stare" lol.

As some others have already posted, this also depends on who your mentor is. Some don't put in the effort to make your first few weeks comfortable, and I guess that's life. But the mentors I had were great, very active and tried to get everyone to participate. That made me want to become a mentor in 2010, and I am :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)