how hot does it have to be for us to go home? (1 Viewer)

kaha167

HSC
is there any sort of rule?
i.e. over 40 degrees we can go home?
does anyone know?
thanks

Schoey93

HSC
is there any sort of rule?
i.e. over 40 degrees we can go home?
does anyone know?
thanks
Sorry, but the answer is no. You have to stay at school. Most schools should have air conditioning by know, particularly Aussie schools, which we go to and adminstration will insist that you stay indoors in an air conditioned area.

Schools would only consider sending students home on 45 degrees Celsius + days. And only if they don't have air conditioning.

:)

klitzy

HSC
As far as I'm aware it's up to the disgression of the school's principal. There wouldn't be a set rule, since conditions would vary. Being at a school complete with air conditioning and proper insulation on a 35+ day would be very different to a country school, with none of that. Really though I can't imagine a principal making the call to send the students home.

helper

HSC
N/A
As Klitzy said, there isn't a set rule but comes under OH&S. The principal also has to think of if it will be more dangerous to send you home unsupervised.

TehAzner

HSC
N/A
I remember my friend saying he was sent home from school in a blistering 50c heatwave one time.

TearsOfFire

HSC
N/A
Sorry, but the answer is no. You have to stay at school. Most schools should have air conditioning by know, particularly Aussie schools, which we go to and adminstration will insist that you stay indoors in an air conditioned area.

Schools would only consider sending students home on 45 degrees Celsius + days. And only if they don't have air conditioning.

:)
Really? I find this very hard to believe. Most public schools just can't afford what private schools can afford.

Cerry

HSC
Really? I find this very hard to believe. Most public schools just can't afford what private schools can afford.
And my private school sure as hell didn't have air con - we just had ceiling fans that did very little. The heating was shit, too, and we live in a place where double digit temperatures in winter are like heaven, and it gets up to about 30-35 in summer.

alcalder

Just ask for help
HSC
N/A
Interesting thread. But I tell you, if it were THAT hot (45+ degC) I'd be heading UP to my son's school and sitting in on their classes. They have air-con and we don't at home!

Actually, funny story, kind of related: I was doing work experience with OTIS Elevators and lift wells have to be air conditioned to keep all the electronics safe, even when the entire work site may be still being built around it. I was in a lift well working on some circuit relays and it was a loverrrrrly 24 degC. Outside it was 36 degC. The Union reps were running around the work site with theor thermometers and when it hit the go home temperature, they closed the entire building site, even us in the beeeeeewwwwtiful lift well had to go home. (And then it was onto a train in Wynyard which was HOTTER again.)

Anyway, that aside, I have never heard of schools being closed with heat BUT then again some should be. I have taught at schools that had neither adequate heating or cooling and classrooms were so cold in winter and so hot in summer it was impossible to teach, let alone learn.

If only the money being pumped into computers in schools could be hijacked to just provide the basics!

Crosswinds

HSC
Yeah our school's certainly not airconditioned.

'Cept in the computer labs but that's because the Apples are more important that the students.

Yep. :)

studentcheese

HSC
Never. The best the school will do for the students would probably be to let them sit in an air-conditioned classroom during lunch.

itadakimus

procrastinator
HSC
I go to a public school and we only have air conditioning in computer rooms. Other classrooms only have ceiling fans.

Last time there was a heat wave we were still at school in 40 degrees T_T

Yeah, unless school was cancelled ahead of notice, I think the principal is unlikely to send students home without contacting parents and calling everyone's parents is unrealistic.

Freckles14

HSC
I'm also at a public school and we only have air-con in the library, the computer rooms, and the office. Other than that we have those crappy gas heaters that don't work half the time and ceiling fans in every classroom... you know the kind that periodically make that "kcccccchchchchcc" (can't really write the onomatopoeia for it) noise when you put them on high.

From what I've heard it has to be 43 if not 45 degrees before they'll even contemplate sending everyone home... and even then you have to live 5km away or something crappy like that.

studentcheese

HSC
2009 has gotta be the year with the hottest Summer days, as compared to recent years. :(

smushieex

HSC
Really? we only have aircon in computer rooms. All other rooms have ceiling fans ...or uhh, fans that don't work at all.

breezy221090

HSC
I think the temperature is 40c+ but that doesn't apply if your school has airconditioners

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)