How is Co-60 Formed (1 Viewer)

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
Cobalt-60 is made by bombarding cobalt-59 with a neutron.

5927Co + 10n → 6027Co

bmc

HSC
Dreamerish*~ said:
Cobalt-60 is made by bombarding cobalt-59 with a neutron.

5927Co + 10n → 6027Co
Are you sure about that.If cobalt is bombarded its proton to neutron ratio will become out of ratio. This would split a neutron into a beta particle and a proton. This would lead to the formation of Ni-60 not cobalt 60

Katie123

Clinical is OVER
HSC
ooh i did this in radiation therapy physics
" Co- 60 is produced by irradiating ordinary stable Co-59 with neutrons in a reactor"
that comes from my text book. what dreamerish said was right

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
bmc said:
Are you sure about that.If cobalt is bombarded its proton to neutron ratio will become out of ratio. This would split a neutron into a beta particle and a proton. This would lead to the formation of Ni-60 not cobalt 60
If the n : p ratio wasn't out of ratio, then it wouldn't be radioactive, would it? :p

You're right. Cobalt-60 decays to form nickel-60. But it has to be cobalt first.

bmc

HSC
yes well i know that much. can u answer this then. if iron 59 was bombarded with a neutron would it not go to Co-60?

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
bmc said:
yes well i know that much. can u answer this then. if iron 59 was bombarded with a neutron would it not go to Co-60?
No it wouldn't.

Write the equation. The charge of a neutron is 0.

5926Fe + 10n → 6026Fe

If that does happen. I haven't seen any radioactive iron in the course. Anyway, you can't go up an atomic number because bombarding with neutrons changes only the atomic mass.

bmc

HSC
but the extra neutron splits into a proton and electron hence Fe-27 results which is then Cobalt. thats y im confused

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
bmc said:
but the extra neutron splits into a proton and electron hence Fe-27 results which is then Cobalt. thats y im confused
Fe-27? The atomic number of iron is 26, and the atomic mass is around 56.

Yes, the extra neutron does split into a proton and electron. That's why cobalt-60 is radioactive. Cobalt-60 exists only temporarily before it decays.

bmc

HSC
A radioactiuve element is formed by bombarding the element below the desired product with a neutron. therefgore Co-60 is made by bombarding iron qwith a neutron making me right.

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
bmc said:
A radioactiuve element is formed by bombarding the element below the desired product with a neutron. therefgore Co-60 is made by bombarding iron qwith a neutron making me right.
Why ask if you're already convinced you're right?

You give me no choice but to quote from textbooks:

Conquering Chemistry: "For example cobalt-60 which is used for cancer treatment is made by placing normal cobalt-59 in a reactor where it captures a neutron." - Section 3.11, page 78.

Chemistry in Context: "Cobalt-60 is an important medical radioisotope which is produced in three steps. This begins with the bombardment of iron-58 with neutrons to form iron-59, followed by the emission of a β particle to form cobalt-59. This then absorbs a neutron to form cobalt-60." - Section 5.4, page 108.

I'll chuck in a website too: http://www.princeton.edu/~chirata/cobalt.html

Convinced yet?

Last edited:

bmc

HSC
Dreamerish*~ said:
Why ask if you're already convinced you're right?

You give me no choice but to quote from textbooks:

Conquering Chemistry: "For example cobalt-60 which is used for cancer treatment is made by placing normal cobalt-59 in a reactor where it captures a neutron." - Section 3.11, page 78.

Chemistry in Context: "Cobalt-60 is an important medical radioisotope which is produced in three steps. This begins with the bombardment of iron-58 with neutrons to form iron-59, followed by the emission of a β particle to form cobalt-59. This then absorbs a neutron to form cobalt-60." - Section 5.4, page 108.

I'll chuck in a website too: http://www.princeton.edu/~chirata/cobalt.html

Convinced yet?
i asked for conformation because obviously im not with my teacher 24/7. however after talking to her and working with chemistry contexts 2 i am convinced with what i have said.
In all honesty though thank you for responding

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
bmc said:
i asked for conformation because obviously im not with my teacher 24/7. however after talking to her and working with chemistry contexts 2 i am convinced with what i have said.
In all honesty though thank you for responding
Okay, if you're confident enough about that.

I have Chemistry Contexts 2 and it says on page 108 that the process begins with iron-58, and that the substance from which cobalt-60 is made from is cobalt-59.

Fe-58 is bombarded with a neutron, but it beta decays to give cobalt-59, not 60. To obtain cobalt-60, cobalt-59 is bombarded with a neutron.

What you're talking about is the first step. Usually saying that cobalt-60 is produced by neutron bombardment of cobalt-59 is enough, but if you decide to explain the whole thing, don't forget that neutron bombardment of iron-58 does not directly produce cobalt-60.

tennille

HSC
Dreamerish is correct. I suggest you look at the sources she has provided for you and read the texts properly (ie. don't skim through it and miss out on the important information). But if you are convinced that you are correct, so be it.

bmc

HSC
Dreamerish*~ said:
Okay, if you're confident enough about that.

I have Chemistry Contexts 2 and it says on page 108 that the process begins with iron-58, and that the substance from which cobalt-60 is made from is cobalt-59.

Fe-58 is bombarded with a neutron, but it beta decays to give cobalt-59, not 60. To obtain cobalt-60, cobalt-59 is bombarded with a neutron.

What you're talking about is the first step. Usually saying that cobalt-60 is produced by neutron bombardment of cobalt-59 is enough, but if you decide to explain the whole thing, don't forget that neutron bombardment of iron-58 does not directly produce cobalt-60.
ok thanks very much ive got it now.

Rax

Custom Me up Scotty
HSC
LOL YOU LOSE BRENDAN
Dreamerish Pawns you any day
And McMahon you should know there are about 4 diff Isotopopes of Cobalt,
How would you get Cobalt-67 without bombarding on the neutrons

CatOnAHorse

HSC
lol well although that took a hell of a lot of convincing, it came in handy for my chem research im doing atm haha

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)