How is dux of the year determined? (1 Viewer)

speedofsound

HSC
I know in yr12 it's who has the highest UAI, but what about 7-11? Does it depend on how many subjects you come first in? Or...?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
speedofsound said:
I know in yr12 it's who has the highest UAI, but what about 7-11? Does it depend on how many subjects you come first in? Or...?
In Year 7 - 11, it's basically about the number of honour mentions (top, top 5% and top 10%) you get from each subject. More you have, the better.

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
We don't have Dux in the grades before year twelve. We award first to third place, and in year twelve, this is complemented with top academic male and female.

BackCountrySnow

HSC
Dux = n/(1-r)

n= number of extension subjects
r= whiteness expressed as a decimal

EDIT: note that r =/= 1

Last edited:

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
My school doesn't use the UAI as we award Dux before the UAIs are known.

They use a formula which is supposed to reflect the UAI one but often the top UAI doesn't get Dux at our place.

We do have Dux of Years 9 - 11 as well but not in Years 7 and 8.

jet

Banned
HSC
Yeah at our school its a system meant like the uai but not based on the uai, but on ranks, and marks.
Top five are announced in years 7 and 8 but not with the ranks next to them, even though it is announced in order.
Ranks are given in years 9-12 though.

undalay

HSC
Every school is different.
My school for example, the dux of yr 12 is not the one with the highest UAI, rather it is the person with the highest average HSC mark of their top 10 subjects (this does not need to include english and is moderated not scaled marks)

Zephyrio

HSC
We don't have a dux per se, but we pass on a $4000 UNSW scholarship to the person who tops the most units.

Caitlin63

:-)
HSC
My school used to do it internally, but its been changed this year to be who ever gets the highest UAI so it won't be given at the year 12 assembly.

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
We've got a thing called SCIs (student curriculum index) which are pretty much an average of your marks weighted according to the number of periods of that subject you have per week (so for example in lower years, maths and science would be weighted more than PDHPE).

Whoever gets the highest is the dux

Last edited:

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Zephyrio said:
We don't have a dux per se, but we pass on a $4000 UNSW scholarship to the person who tops the most units.
My school does that too~

lucidassembly

HSC
As a WGHS dux, I can answer this one for you :p The person who tops the greatest number of subjects gets dux in Yrs 7-11. If you have several people who each topped the same number of courses, they then count the greatest number of 2nd place positions.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Zephyrio said:
Wow, I actually got the $4000 scholarship. I'm very happy. :)
Congrats!!!

I am aiming for that from my school as well but our school actually gives both Macquarie and UNSW scholarships to the top student so that's pretty awesome.

By the way, do you get $4000 every year then?

bored of sc

HSC
We have some special award for academic achievement in year 11; aka dux of year 11.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)