How is Law/Psychology (1 Viewer)

Tao~te

HSC
hows this combined course? Doing 2 degrees at once, wouldnt mean a lot more classes in one day? How is the Law program in ANU

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
1) As far as I'm aware every university in NSW and the ACT apart from UTS only offers combined law.

2) It's obviously not a burden because you only do half as many law subjects a year as you would if you did straight law. 24 credit points, which is about 17 hours a week.

3) Your questions are so general - how do you expect anyone to answer?

4) Without going into the reasons why you'd do law/psychology - besides having a general interest, since neither field will really help with the other, you can't do straight law/psychology. You'd have to do a law/science degree and take psychology subjects.

Last edited:

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
If you rummage through the ANU sight you should turn up that a straight degree typically constitutes 144 units (courses being six units each) whereas a combined degree needs 190-ish units.

As neo says the load is not increased. It is pertinent to mention the duration however, I am too lazy to look it up (and you should anyway) but Law/Science(Psychology) is probably 6 years long. Combined Law usually being 5 years but I think science degrees might take longer.

Your study load will also depend on the units chosen, as you're considering law/science I would imagine you will do about 18 hours a week. Arts/Eco being 14, Arts/Law 16 etc etc loads vary.

The only synergy I can imagine these degrees having is forensic psychology and its role in the legal system. Be aware that this is a VERY competitive field with VERY high standards of entry.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Doing 2 degrees at once, wouldnt mean a lot more classes in one day? - you spread them over 5/6 yrs and do less electives, so no.

How is the Law program in ANU - it's cool. easier to get into to, good reputation :cool:

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
Frigid said:
Doing 2 degrees at once, wouldnt mean a lot more classes in one day? - you spread them over 5/6 yrs and do less electives, so no.

How is the Law program in ANU - it's cool. easier to get into to, good reputation :cool:
accommo's cheaper and air's cleaner too
hi frig!! :)

Tao~te

HSC
thanx for the replies, just one ques. wats the difference in
-Bachlor of Psychology
and

-B Science (psychology)

is there a difference?

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
Tao~te said:
-Bachlor of Psychology
and

-B Science (psychology)

is there a difference?
B Pysch would be more specified I guess

rumour

HSC
Tao~te said:
-Bachlor of Psychology
and

-B Science (psychology)

is there a difference?
No, there isn't a difference. You can do all the same subjects!!!!!!!

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
even thought they may be the same subjects, would you have the same qualifications.

on a further note, even if one has the same qualifications, does the degree offer you the same length of time to obtain your license to practice? in most majoring degrees for psychology, i have noticed that it was only a part qualification.

rumour

HSC
Yes, you need to do post grad study to become a psychologist, if you do either degree. Both degrees are three years long.

dazzi_dani

HSC
anu calls it a bsci(psych) unlike some of the other unis because there is no automatic right to an honours year, its the same degree without the honours entitlement hence the lower uai.

Lennie

I take it some of you are doing psych..

unless i have read the requirements wrong, im assuming mathematics (2u) isnt a necessity??

I ask, because im not sure if i should drop the horrid subject, or stick with it and barely pass....

Those doing the course, do you think that 2u maths is a must??

Also, is it likely that anu will ask for 2u maths for 2006 students?

yerba-mala

HSC
hey Neo, um when u say law and psy are not related at all, how does that work? doesnt psy teaches u how the mind thinks and reacts, so it'll actually be beneficial for u if u decide to be a lawyer or something? so that u could get an idea how the opposition is thinking and stuff...

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
ANU has VERY few pre-requisites, there is however ASSUMED knowledge.

You may well get in with no maths but if you do maths based courses you will feel the squeeze.

As advice from someone who dropped 3U maths all the way down to general:
You tell yourself that you will do well because its easy, however you did it 3 years ago and you only remember parts of it, and it is so easy that you will switch off in class and do no work. Your mark will still be high for general maybe 70+ however it will likley be not as high as you would have done. Also remembering that 2U scales better.

My advice if you intend on doing ANYTHING involving maths at uni then stick with 2U, believe me I wish I had as I am now doing econometrics (maths for economists) and struggling.

Lennie

addymac said:
ANU has VERY few pre-requisites, there is however ASSUMED knowledge.

You may well get in with no maths but if you do maths based courses you will feel the squeeze.

As advice from someone who dropped 3U maths all the way down to general:
You tell yourself that you will do well because its easy, however you did it 3 years ago and you only remember parts of it, and it is so easy that you will switch off in class and do no work. Your mark will still be high for general maybe 70+ however it will likley be not as high as you would have done. Also remembering that 2U scales better.

My advice if you intend on doing ANYTHING involving maths at uni then stick with 2U, believe me I wish I had as I am now doing econometrics (maths for economists) and struggling.
Thanks for the reply. :)

if im going to drop maths, i would drop it entirely (i wouldnt opt for general) because without maths i still have 16 units.

Is Psychology at ANU really maths based??

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
I don't do it, 2nd hand from those that do it, no.

16 units is still too many, (I did 14) 12 is enough, honestly 6 extra units will mean that you're spread too thin and the units that count for UAI will suffer.

dazzi_dani

HSC
no u definately dont need maths for psychology at anu, well atleast i dont think u do

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)