How is school rank relevant to HSC marks? (1 Viewer)

Mrkingofstuff

HSC
I go to a school ranked 40-30 in the state, I want to get clear how (if at all) this is beneficial to alignment/moderation. If I receive an raw assessment mark of 80/100 in Adv. English, is this scaled up? I know gaps between ranks also plays a part, but it is all largely unclear to me.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Well it's beneficial that your cohort will likely perform well in the exams with a more concentrated top results (higher bottom scores), hence using the highest and lowest exam mark, the margins between ranks are used to determine internal.

So the raw internal assessment mark doesn't matter so much as your rank and the margins, but you are right that you may receive a better than your raw assessment given your cohort's external performance.

You may be lucky at high rank school that all assessment marks could be set from like an 80-98 range if the lowest exam performance was 80 in a sub and highest a 98.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Just a reminder that any rank you see is from earlier years and the schools will be re-ranked AFTER your cohort does the HSC based on your cohort's performance.

Does it benefit you to go to a higher ranked school - only in the fact that the chances are that your school culture will be more favourable to academic achievement and there will probably be more competition.

However when the HSC is actually marked schools are treated all the same - in fact with more and more online marking the markers don't even know the centre numbers nor do they necessarily mark all the students in the same centre.

bale

HSC
N/A
HSC School rankings don't count towards anything. That's what happened for me but your internal assessment ranks are crucial and you must do well in all of your assessments as they count towards your ATAR. It's a common misunderstanding.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)