how is there like 5 days left... (1 Viewer)

Leadmen4y

HSC
As I previously stated, standard almost exactly scales the same as advanced for marks around 70+ (for some reason band 2-3 weird stuff happens). However, the alignment is different. A person in adv would need like 79-81ish on the exam to get an 89 whereas I probably achieved a 87ish in standard. The NESA alignment process deems these raw marks equivalent.

Lol I would rather lose a bunch of math marks in exchange for English marks bc there’s diminishing returns in scaling. In fact I got an extra mark in MX1 and my ATAR stayed the same after it was recalculated. HSC rewards consistency in all subjects.
probably because the higher you go in the 90s it gets more and more harder as theres always 10 or so marks that are allocated to differentiate band 6 students from others, for std english its probably paper 1 short answers and mod c imo, seems absurdly difficult to do well in those sections.

HSC
hey guys how many trial papers would you recommend completing before the advanced maths trials?

Leadmen4y

HSC
hey guys how many trial papers would you recommend completing before the advanced maths trials?
I've done like 5-6 minimum so far and still finding gaps, if you're doing only 2u and don't have 1u of extension to worry about I think as much as possible without compromising too much on your other subjects is a good idea. Though people vary based on their abilities, I'd say it's a good indication you're ready if you can 95+ in hard papers like ones from baulko, ruse and probs also NSB&G.

HSC
I've done like 5-6 minimum so far and still finding gaps, if you're doing only 2u and don't have 1u of extension to worry about I think as much as possible without compromising too much on your other subjects is a good idea. Though people vary based on their abilities, I'd say it's a good indication you're ready if you can 95+ in hard papers like ones from baulko, ruse and probs also NSB&G.
So im lucky to be accelerating so I really only have this subject to worry about (+ my current yr 11 exams), would 15 be reasonable to aim for? Anyway thanks a lot! I actually haven't started doing them yikes.

Leadmen4y

HSC
So im lucky to be accelerating so I really only have this subject to worry about (+ my current yr 11 exams), would 15 be reasonable to aim for? Anyway thanks a lot! I actually haven't started doing them yikes.
Oh wow, that's impressive. Depends on how much time you have left, a paper should take about 2 hours 30 minutes for competent students like you, so 15 in a week should be okay if you do 2 a day-ish, though idk when ur trial is, spread them out more if you have time. Though if you're picking up extension 2 in year 12 ur adv mark won't count, but doing well is a good insurance ig in case you end up only doing 3u in yr 12.

There's no better practice than papers out there, I suggest you save the super hard papers like ruse and baulko for last and do any other school's first, mark and find what questions you struggle with, perhaps go to the Cambridge or new senior's textbook and revise them then come back for more. I don't think any subject other than maths have yr 11 content tested in yr 12 so go all out for maths is not a terribly bad idea, by all means it could count to your final ATAR so I don't see any reason to not prioritise it. no worries and good luck! :D

Hiheyhello

HSC
hmmm, all this talk about practice papers is making me wonder how i should approach content-heavy subjects such as modern and eco (just finished finalising my notes for modern, almost done eco).

I'm not sure whether I should learn my notes first so that I can take past papers closed book closer to the exam, (I get the gist of my notes from a macro-level but still need to commit the details to memory), or whether I should just start taking practice papers open book??

i usually learn my notes first (i did that for internals anyway), but i guess trials is a lot more intense...

Leadmen4y

HSC
hmmm, all this talk about practice papers is making me wonder how i should approach content-heavy subjects such as modern and eco (just finished finalising my notes for modern, almost done eco).

I'm not sure whether I should learn my notes first so that I can take past papers closed book closer to the exam, (I get the gist of my notes from a macro-level but still need to commit the details to memory), or whether I should just start taking practice papers open book??

i usually learn my notes first (i did that for internals anyway), but i guess trials is a lot more intense...
I do bio which is probably a science version of humanity subjects, equally content heavy and somewhat rote (though not exactly...). I basically skimmed over my notes and memorised only the basic ideas without the details and started papers (or at least practice questions) as soon as I could, and it's working well as idk about humanity subjects but most of the time you don't have to know absolute everything to write a band 6 response since it's still high school level so they're more lenient ig

Never tried open book myself, dk how effective it is though it seems a little counterintuitive because you should 'practice like how you play', doing it without having your notes in front of you is helpful in the sense that when you go blank seeing a question you can immediately know which area you need to work on, while having notes you wouldn't know because everything is in front of you already. It's my personal opinion though

HSC
Oh wow, that's impressive. Depends on how much time you have left, a paper should take about 2 hours 30 minutes for competent students like you, so 15 in a week should be okay if you do 2 a day-ish, though idk when ur trial is, spread them out more if you have time. Though if you're picking up extension 2 in year 12 ur adv mark won't count, but doing well is a good insurance ig in case you end up only doing 3u in yr 12.

There's no better practice than papers out there, I suggest you save the super hard papers like ruse and baulko for last and do any other school's first, mark and find what questions you struggle with, perhaps go to the Cambridge or new senior's textbook and revise them then come back for more. I don't think any subject other than maths have yr 11 content tested in yr 12 so go all out for maths is not a terribly bad idea, by all means it could count to your final ATAR so I don't see any reason to not prioritise it. no worries and good luck! :D
Trials are around three weeks ish away so I think it would be reasonable! Thank you so much for taking the time to answer :) Good luck to you too!

Hiheyhello

HSC
I do bio which is probably a science version of humanity subjects, equally content heavy and somewhat rote (though not exactly...). I basically skimmed over my notes and memorised only the basic ideas without the details and started papers (or at least practice questions) as soon as I could, and it's working well as idk about humanity subjects but most of the time you don't have to know absolute everything to write a band 6 response since it's still high school level so they're more lenient ig

Never tried open book myself, dk how effective it is though it seems a little counterintuitive because you should 'practice like how you play', doing it without having your notes in front of you is helpful in the sense that when you go blank seeing a question you can immediately know which area you need to work on, while having notes you wouldn't know because everything is in front of you already. It's my personal opinion though
thanks !!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)