How long did it take you to feel confident-ish on your L's? (1 Viewer)

Hannelore

HSC
I'm pretty old to have my learner license; nearly 22. I think I was about 19 when I got it but only had a single lesson (with an instructor) before having to put it on the backburner due to financial commitments (didn't have anyone who could teach me so my only option was/is professional lessons).

I had a lesson on Tuesday and found it absolutely nerve-wracking and confidence-smashing. It's been a long time since I was such an absolute beginner at anything, so it could just be that I'm not really used to it, but I found it really HARD. The steering is especially difficult; my brain understands the hand over hand technique but my hands just seemed to have trouble cooperating.

I have another lesson tomorrow; I get that I'm a REALLY beginner driver right now, but most of the people I knew in high school seemed to really enjoy driving and pick it up in time to get their red P's really quick.

Apologies for the longish post, but I've been wondering how long it took you to feel like you really had the hang of driving? I'd really like to have a vague idea so I don't get too discouraged, although I understand that different people might learn at different rates with this, so a ballpark? :)

Thanks!

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
Fuck

you just reminded me I'm like almost 21 and still L's

I am not confident driving and it didn't help I wasted money on a shitty instructor who would yell at me

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
It took me at least 30-40 hours of legit driving until I was confident enough to drive around smoothly.

D94

HSC
N/A
I think I had around 90 hours when I did a Sydney to Goulburn drive. I did drive daily though, but almost always the same route (since it was to school and back). Can't remember how long it took to be 'confident', but please, confidence for any driver, even an experienced driver, should not overreach into over-confidence.

You want to start by just driving around the block (if you live in a suburban area). Do the same route and work on good habits. If it feels natural, then change it up, add traffic lights or multi-lane roads, but still keep it in the confines of a suburb.

Find cul-de-sacs to practice hand over hand or whatever technique is sufficient for the area. Go slow. There is no rush.

Ideally you want to keep repeating the process of driving; drive daily if possible, even if it's only 10-15 min. It may seem silly but doing the checks such as seat positioning, adjusting mirrors, checking your passengers are wearing seatbelts etc. are good habits that can improve confidence.

Soon 10 minutes turns into 10 hours, and 10 hours turns into 100 hours, and you will be ready for your test.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
My first time actually driving i was very confident because I thought it was easy and second nature as I've seen other drivers like parents and friends etc driving so easily. after my first lesson I my confidence diminished because it was more difficult than I thought.

It took about 4 more lessons (so about 6 or so hours) before I was more confident and by about 40-50 hours I was completely confident in my ability. I had one lesson at the end of my 120 hours (most were forged anyway, i only had maybe 70ish hours behind the wheel and maybe 2 at night) to see what the driving test was like (head checks, indicating, where to turn etc) because they are very pick about that stuff.

the test is very easy to pass but also very easy to fail if you forget to do 1 head check and indicate. so just take your time and take it easy there's no rush.

Learn it properly the first time so it becomes easier as you drive more frequently, I drive about 8-10 hours a week (full licence to come in 4 months) and it is a huge convenience to get to work/uni etc.

Hannelore

HSC
Fuck

you just reminded me I'm like almost 21 and still L's

I am not confident driving and it didn't help I wasted money on a shitty instructor who would yell at me
:frown2: Hope you were able to find a better instructor! I know that they need to be tough, but there's tough love and being generally horrible.

Hannelore

HSC
It took me at least 30-40 hours of legit driving until I was confident enough to drive around smoothly.
Thanks for sharing :smile: That makes me feel better about being so bad in the first few hours :redface:

Hannelore

HSC
I think I had around 90 hours when I did a Sydney to Goulburn drive. I did drive daily though, but almost always the same route (since it was to school and back). Can't remember how long it took to be 'confident', but please, confidence for any driver, even an experienced driver, should not overreach into over-confidence.

You want to start by just driving around the block (if you live in a suburban area). Do the same route and work on good habits. If it feels natural, then change it up, add traffic lights or multi-lane roads, but still keep it in the confines of a suburb.

Find cul-de-sacs to practice hand over hand or whatever technique is sufficient for the area. Go slow. There is no rush.

Ideally you want to keep repeating the process of driving; drive daily if possible, even if it's only 10-15 min. It may seem silly but doing the checks such as seat positioning, adjusting mirrors, checking your passengers are wearing seatbelts etc. are good habits that can improve confidence.

Soon 10 minutes turns into 10 hours, and 10 hours turns into 100 hours, and you will be ready for your test.
Thanks; this seems to be more or less what my instructor has been/will be doing :smile:

Thanks especially for the tips! I doubt I'm going to be anywhere near overconfident anytime soon, but I want to be as competent as possible so I think all the little things will help build up confidence!

Hannelore

HSC
My first time actually driving i was very confident because I thought it was easy and second nature as I've seen other drivers like parents and friends etc driving so easily. after my first lesson I my confidence diminished because it was more difficult than I thought.

It took about 4 more lessons (so about 6 or so hours) before I was more confident and by about 40-50 hours I was completely confident in my ability. I had one lesson at the end of my 120 hours (most were forged anyway, i only had maybe 70ish hours behind the wheel and maybe 2 at night) to see what the driving test was like (head checks, indicating, where to turn etc) because they are very pick about that stuff.

the test is very easy to pass but also very easy to fail if you forget to do 1 head check and indicate. so just take your time and take it easy there's no rush.

Learn it properly the first time so it becomes easier as you drive more frequently, I drive about 8-10 hours a week (full licence to come in 4 months) and it is a huge convenience to get to work/uni etc.
Haha, while most of the reason I am so behind on my license for my age is due to financial reasons, I can definitely say I was happy to have the excuse not to try! I've always found the idea of operating a car to be terrifying, but then again, I'm pretty anxious and not very confident in most other areas of my life too :redface: I knew all these people who seemed to drive so effortlessly but it just looked so tricky to me!

My first and second lesson were terrifying but today's was actually almost enjoyable. Until I accidentally used the accelerator instead of the brake; thought my heart was going to leap out of my chest!

I'm in no real rush to pass the test; I just know that I want to not put off learning :)

Hannelore

HSC
I'm just on edge and feel like I'll kill someone somehow
This is me! I was surrounded by people at school who seemed so casual about it, even going so far as to forge many hours in their logbook (something I would never do because I doubt I will feel ready even at 120 hours XD). Meanwhile, I can't get over the idea that it is a dangerous machine so happily put it off for years.

I'm hoping the nerves will diminish with confidence; you know how people say they can basically drive on autopilot because it's so familiar (at least on familiar roads)? The idea of that is so strange to me right now!

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
This is me! I was surrounded by people at school who seemed so casual about it, even going so far as to forge many hours in their logbook (something I would never do because I doubt I will feel ready even at 120 hours XD). Meanwhile, I can't get over the idea that it is a dangerous machine so happily put it off for years.

I'm hoping the nerves will diminish with confidence; you know how people say they can basically drive on autopilot because it's so familiar (at least on familiar roads)? The idea of that is so strange to me right now!
It's allso the pressure of surroundin drivers, like you know you're a nuisance to them, and if u do something wrong they'll get like road rage

matchalolz

HSC
How many hours does it take to be able to park in shopping centres?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wannaspoon

ремове кебаб
HSC
Uni Grad
Couple of outings... Then again, I used to be into go karts (very different to actual driving though), paddock bashed on the uncles farm (again, different, uncle used to have an old ute I used to fuck around with, fun...), drivers ed in high school (this was actually cool, they took us for a couple of sessions at Sandown where we could fang it in shit cars if we new what we were doing), etc prior to getting my L's...

stuff every kid needs to do before getting on the road, in my opinion...

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)