How long do english hsc markers spend marking each essay? (1 Viewer)

cherryboi

HSC
I have heard that essays get double marked by different markers and that they don't look at it that closely like they do in school assessments, as they impression mark the papers.

Is this true?

adding to this, has any teacher or hsc marker that they know told them how long they spend marking each essay?

Frostguard

HSC
If I remember correctly, my English teacher told me they spend around 20-30 minutes reading each essay and it's basically because they do not have time to properly analyse and give extensive feedback for each essay. They've got a quota and a deadline to meet so it usually is impression marking but that still doesn't mean they quickly skim over it, they've still got some standards and they'll try to put in feedback wherever and whenever they can. If the essay is illegible then gg it takes a lot longer and sometimes they won't even read it at all - they'll put it at the bottom of the pile or they'll just hand it someone else - which is a big yikes. Basically please it make it legible, there's nothing worse for a HSC marker who is tired from reading tons of english essays to be spending twice as long on just one difficult to read essay tbh

Zoinked

Beast
HSC
If I remember correctly, my English teacher told me they spend around 20-30 minutes reading each essay and it's basically because they do not have time to properly analyse and give extensive feedback for each essay. They've got a quota and a deadline to meet so it usually is impression marking but that still doesn't mean they quickly skim over it, they've still got some standards and they'll try to put in feedback wherever and whenever they can. If the essay is illegible then gg it takes a lot longer and sometimes they won't even read it at all - they'll put it at the bottom of the pile or they'll just hand it someone else - which is a big yikes. Basically please it make it legible, there's nothing worse for a HSC marker who is tired from reading tons of english essays to be spending twice as long on just one difficult to read essay tbh
bullshit they spend 20-30 mins an essay. I reckon it wouldn't even be 10 minutes.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
I would also think it would depend on the ease of reading (i.e how legible the handwriting is)

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
bullshit they spend 20-30 mins an essay. I reckon it wouldn't even be 10 minutes.

I reckon 10 minutes would suffice for some essays being marked if you have enough experience marking.

studygirl118

HSC
So what you’re all saying is they don’t sit there and analyse every word, they just gauge the overall quality of work since they don’t have much time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dermite

HSC
N/A
So what you’re all saying is they don’t sit there and analyse every word, they just gauge the overall quality of work since they don’t have much time?

definitely; they flick through the paper, assessing the length of the essay/creative, and then read the intro to get a general idea of the essay/piece. Thats why its important to have a good intro, as there is a psychological change that is evidenced; if the intro isnt good, then theres a strong chance the rest of the essay isnt good, and the marker has got it into their mind. same thing applies for spelling mistakes.

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad

Yes pretty much.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)