how long should a quote be? (1 Viewer)

Exp

HSC
so I know that a quote needs to be effectively chosen such that what I'm trying to say is seen through the quote and quotes aren't necessarily a standard length but I'm having trouble cutting down...

ie in 'the Great Gatsby' Fitzgerald likes to have long flowing sentences with lots of conjunctions so it makes it hard to condense quotes.

how would you shorten "walk up and down a desolate path of fruit rinds and discarded favours and crush flowers”? I would remove the red but I want the sentence to seamlessly flow onto this quote since my teacher seems to like that sort of stuff.

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
A longer quote means shorter analysis but it depends on your writing speed... fast writing means you can afford these long quotes.

Also what you take out depends on what meaning you want to convey.

Exp

HSC
so it would be unnecessary to state the quote and then go on to analyse it in depth by repeating sections of it? ie Gatsby especially embodies this ignorance towards the passing of time as he “walk up and down a desolate path of fruit rinds and discarded favours and crush flowers”. This excessive use of the conjunction “and” along with the imagery of waste and decay convey... --> trying to talk about mortality

Last edited:

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
so it would be unnecessary to state the quote and then go on to analyse it in depth by repeating sections of it? ie Gatsby especially embodies this ignorance towards the passing of time as he “walk up and down a desolate path of fruit rinds and discarded favours and crush flowers”. This excessive use of the conjunction “and” along with the imagery of waste and decay convey... --> trying to talk about mortality

Yeah seems like if you're just talking about mortality then the first part of the quote won't be needed so you can take it out...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)