How many days and is this plan possible? (1 Viewer)

Hatake88

HSC
I will be doing the applied finance/commerce (prof accounting) course this year at Macquarie. I have a few questions to ask before then, if you don't mind:

1. Macquarie uni has two campuses- one in North Ryde and one in the city. While applied finance/commerce as a double degree is only avaliable in the North Ryde campus (approximately 1+ hour trip one way), commerce by itself is avaliable in the city (only 25-30 minutes on way). My question is: is it possible I attend the lectures/tutes for the commerce portion in the city? Is the content the same? Will they let me in and will my attendance still be counted?

2. How many days will I be expected to attend uni? As explained above, the fewer the better as in my case.

3. I want to transition into commerce/law at macq or commerce at usyd/unsw after a year. With an atar of 87.25, how well do I have to do in this course to cut-it? Will it be better (in terms of chance) to just do arts at usyd/unsw instead and transition after a year/half a year?

Last edited:

sq124

HSC
3rd year Commerce (prof acct) student here.

• Lecture doesn’t have attendance, only tutes does. Lecture is fully audio/video recorded.
• Not too sure if you can attend the commerce portion in the city. But I know that for a single degree, you can't go to different campus during the semester. You can only switch between campuses at the beginning of the year and must stay at the same campus until the end of the year. Best for you to ask the student advisor.
• Lecturer in charge can be different across two campuses. Teaching style and assessment can be different.
• Attendance will only be counted when you go to the class you enrol to.

• Depends on the way you schedule your timetable. As I remember for first year student you can’t do it directly online by yourself, you have to go to on-campus enrolment where mentors/student advisor will help you enrol into your units then you will go to a computer lab to choose the class yourself. Use this https://timetables.mq.edu.au/2013/ to plan ahead.
• You have to be quick when choosing your class, because a lot of people will try to fit their lec and tutes into 3 days (especially for commerce acct units)

• Not too sure. Don’t want to mislead you.

Feel free to ask me more questions.

MrBean1561

HSC
Uni Grad
3. If you want to transfer internally, you will need to fulfill a certain GPA and credit point requirement. Normally for most units the GPA has to be around 2.5 (if i remember correctly).

Hatake88

HSC
Hey man,
Thanks for the reply. I feel so honored that you registered just for me lol (no, but seriously- thank you).

Okay more questions...

4. So how many tutorials do you have and can they be placed on the same day? From the sound of it, I may do the lectures online instead or sneak into the city campus for them. This leaves me with wayyy less travel time as I'll only have to make the trip for tutorials.

5. Yeah. I saw the timetable but everything was like "100 levels REQUIRED" and there was only one elective (said elective was also a choice between 'introducton to statistics' and 'statistics calculation'...which sounds the same tbh). I didn't see any people/planet units which everyone was talking about.

That being said, do you think I should change the time of my enrolment session if the early birds get the better choice?

sq124

HSC
4. Unit generally consist of 2 hours of lecture and 1 hour of tutorial. To give you some examples, STAT170 (introduction to statistics -planet unit) have 2 hours lecture, 1 hour prac and 1 hour tutorial (prac and tut have attendance). Math123 (people unit) have 2 hours lecture and 1 hour of tutorial - When I did it semester 1 2012 It didn't have attendance for tutorial, only had to go to tutes for quiz). So the amount of tutorials you have to go varies between unit. In one semester I actually placed all my tutorials within 2 days, so I only had to go in uni for 2 days.

People unit- http://www.handbook.mq.edu.au/2013/Units/People
Planet unit- http://www.handbook.mq.edu.au/2013/Units/Planet
Type in the Unit code in the search box - https://timetables.mq.edu.au/2013/

If possible, you should change to the earliest date and time possible for enrolment session.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)