• Best of luck to the class of 2020 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

how many hours of study (2 Viewers)

beetree1

Daddy
Joined
Feb 10, 2019
Messages
429
Gender
Female
HSC
2020
with those 8 paragraphs- were they just general and then you adapted them to your actual essay question? how'd you seperate them eg by theme or...?
how'd you end up going for mod a and b in trials if you don't mind sharing haha
For Mod A, my text is pretty easy so I have 1 essay that works for 90% of all questions and I can just throw in the key words of the question into the essay on the day and my 2nd backup essay is one a queer theme that would work for the remaining 10%

For Mod B, I had 2 paragraphs on each poem (we have 5 poems) and those essentially cover different themes too and i just choose 2 (one of them would usually be specified) and the other that just works with the question.

I got 20 for both haha I lost all my marks in my common module essay because they threw me a crazy question
 

jojosiwa123

Active Member
Joined
Jul 27, 2020
Messages
219
Gender
Female
HSC
2020
For Mod A, my text is pretty easy so I have 1 essay that works for 90% of all questions and I can just throw in the key words of the question into the essay on the day and my 2nd backup essay is one a queer theme that would work for the remaining 10%

For Mod B, I had 2 paragraphs on each poem (we have 5 poems) and those essentially cover different themes too and i just choose 2 (one of them would usually be specified) and the other that just works with the question.

I got 20 for both haha I lost all my marks in my common module essay because they threw me a crazy question
what were ur texts??
btw how'd you go about planning mod c responses- our question for mod c was so fking random everyone basically had to write a persuasive which we had never looked at in class lol, did u do an imaginative??
 

Xanthi

Member
Joined
Jul 4, 2020
Messages
99
Gender
Undisclosed
HSC
2020
For Mod A, my text is pretty easy so I have 1 essay that works for 90% of all questions and I can just throw in the key words of the question into the essay on the day and my 2nd backup essay is one a queer theme that would work for the remaining 10%

For Mod B, I had 2 paragraphs on each poem (we have 5 poems) and those essentially cover different themes too and i just choose 2 (one of them would usually be specified) and the other that just works with the question.

I got 20 for both haha I lost all my marks in my common module essay because they threw me a crazy question
Do you mind telling us the crazy question? (Unless it's not an essay).

Also I remember you said in another thread that you only memorise quotes?

But wow you do memorise a lot. I can't imagine memorizing 10 paragraphs for mod B.
 

ultra908

Active Member
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
156
Gender
Male
HSC
2020
aye i memorised 3 each for common mod, mod a and b, and 1.5 mod c creatives
how tf u memorise 10
 

tokyocalling

New Member
Joined
Oct 2, 2020
Messages
11
Gender
Undisclosed
HSC
2020
what were ur texts??
btw how'd you go about planning mod c responses- our question for mod c was so fking random everyone basically had to write a persuasive which we had never looked at in class lol, did u do an imaginative??
the standard for the hsc is pretty low, have you read the sample answers published by nesa by chance - you'll see what i mean when i say low. For mod c as long as you've stuck to the stimulus and then pretty much abuse every technique you can imagine that belongs to the specific type of writing and incorporate it there no way youre gonna do badly. I suggest not memorising anything, maybe like excerpts that you like and may want to include cause youre more likely to get a stimulus for something which your piece doesn't fit, if you then go ahead and use your prepared piece your pretty screwed.
 
Last edited:
Joined
Nov 18, 2019
Messages
30
Gender
Male
HSC
2019
the standard for the hsc is pretty low, have you read the sample answers published by nesa by chance - you'll see what i mean when i say low. For mod c as long as you've stuck to the stimulus and then pretty much abuse every technique you can imagine that belongs to the specific type of writing and incorporate it there no way youre gonna do badly. I suggest not memorising anything, maybe like excerpts that you like and may want to include cause youre more likely to get a stimulus for something which your piece doesn't fit, if you then go ahead and use your prepared piece your pretty screwed.
The sample papers released by Nesa are only 17/18(out of 20) because it would defeat the purpose if people could just copy someone else's 20/20 and use it in HSC.
 

turtle67

Member
Joined
Jul 7, 2020
Messages
61
Gender
Male
HSC
2021
I prepped like 6 mod c pieces and one of them fit quite well so

For human experience, anyone can get 20/20 if they do enough past papers!! We are actually very lucky to be the 2nd year for the new syllabus so
How did you know what sort of stuff to prep for mod c? Like if it is a 'continue from this extract ...' question would you just pick things out of what you had memorised? Like there are a lot of questions I've seen like write from the perspective of a certain character about a certain part of the text so how would you prepare for that?
 

beetree1

Daddy
Joined
Feb 10, 2019
Messages
429
Gender
Female
HSC
2020
How did you know what sort of stuff to prep for mod c? Like if it is a 'continue from this extract ...' question would you just pick things out of what you had memorised? Like there are a lot of questions I've seen like write from the perspective of a certain character about a certain part of the text so how would you prepare for that?
Well for a continue this extract question, you would just look out for whatever the extract's theme/issue is and surely 1 out of your 6 prepared pieces would discuss it.

For the write from a character's pov, I have actually done an internal task on this. I had prepared that earlier anyways because for an imaginative, you should be looking to take ideas/techniques from that prescribed imaginative - so just.. know your text.
 

turtle67

Member
Joined
Jul 7, 2020
Messages
61
Gender
Male
HSC
2021
Well for a continue this extract question, you would just look out for whatever the extract's theme/issue is and surely 1 out of your 6 prepared pieces would discuss it.

For the write from a character's pov, I have actually done an internal task on this. I had prepared that earlier anyways because for an imaginative, you should be looking to take ideas/techniques from that prescribed imaginative - so just.. know your text.
Yeah okay that makes sense, thanks a lot and good luck for the HSC :)
 

Xanthi

Member
Joined
Jul 4, 2020
Messages
99
Gender
Undisclosed
HSC
2020
How did you know what sort of stuff to prep for mod c? Like if it is a 'continue from this extract ...' question would you just pick things out of what you had memorised? Like there are a lot of questions I've seen like write from the perspective of a certain character about a certain part of the text so how would you prepare for that?
They will never specify the actual character.

You only need to know 2 texts.
 

jojosiwa123

Active Member
Joined
Jul 27, 2020
Messages
219
Gender
Female
HSC
2020
the standard for the hsc is pretty low, have you read the sample answers published by nesa by chance - you'll see what i mean when i say low. For mod c as long as you've stuck to the stimulus and then pretty much abuse every technique you can imagine that belongs to the specific type of writing and incorporate it there no way youre gonna do badly. I suggest not memorising anything, maybe like excerpts that you like and may want to include cause youre more likely to get a stimulus for something which your piece doesn't fit, if you then go ahead and use your prepared piece your pretty screwed.
idk where to find the sample answers
 

大きい男

Member
Joined
Aug 11, 2019
Messages
81
Gender
Male
HSC
2020
idk where to find the sample answers
I think they're talking about the essays in the 'HSC Exam Workbook'. Basically it has student responses from the 2019 HSC for all of the questions (papers 1 and 2) and some marker's comments regarding why they were good responses.
 

jasminerulez

Active Member
Joined
Feb 21, 2013
Messages
153
Gender
Undisclosed
HSC
N/A
I think they're talking about the essays in the 'HSC Exam Workbook'. Basically it has student responses from the 2019 HSC for all of the questions (papers 1 and 2) and some marker's comments regarding why they were good responses.
Odd question but how did u study for bio considering u got 91
 

jojosiwa123

Active Member
Joined
Jul 27, 2020
Messages
219
Gender
Female
HSC
2020
hey guys since u all 'hate' nesa so much drop the exam workbook into my dms so they don't get another cent from another student how bout that 😍😘
 

大きい男

Member
Joined
Aug 11, 2019
Messages
81
Gender
Male
HSC
2020
Odd question but how did u study for bio considering u got 91
After I finished writing my notes and summaries I did questions from textbooks mainly as there weren't many trial papers I had access to. The best thing to do at this stage is trial papers under exam conditions i.e. no access to your notes. As long as you know the content and can apply it well, you'll probably get a B6.
 

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Top