How many hours per week am i at uni ? (1 Viewer)

mahdi

HSC
I am either going to do flexible engineering at USYD or UNSW. Does anyone know how many hours i would be at uni per week? Also, how many days (ie. 4 or 5) will i be there, and are all days equal hours? Last question, do any of you current engineering students find that you have to do alot of homework on saturday and sunday?

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
you can expect around 24hrs of class time, 5 days a week (though sometimes you can squeeze up your classes and get 4 days of uni per week), no equal hours, depends on what times the lectures and tutes are on (they're on set times), and lol @ homework. There is no homework at uni, only assignments, reports, essays, etc. The 'homework' questions you get in maths, physics, and any other class, never gets checked, tutors dont care if you do it or not, it's all up to YOU whether you wanna do it or not. It's more of a study time then homework time, so basically if you dont do it, you wont learn it, and you will fail the course :)

LordPc

HSC
I am either going to do flexible engineering at USYD or UNSW. Does anyone know how many hours i would be at uni per week?
quite a few. contact hours are usually in the region of 23-25 per week. you will almost certainly have breaks between some classes, so more in region of 30 hours more or less depending on how big those breaks are.

Also, how many days (ie. 4 or 5) will i be there, and are all days equal hours?
probably 5 days. all days are not equal hours though.

Last question, do any of you current engineering students find that you have to do alot of homework on saturday and sunday?
depends, how much h/w was done on mon-fri?

HSC
N/A
I am either going to do flexible engineering at USYD or UNSW. Does anyone know how many hours i would be at uni per week? Also, how many days (ie. 4 or 5) will i be there, and are all days equal hours? Last question, do any of you current engineering students find that you have to do alot of homework on saturday and sunday?
even though i did flexible first year engineering at UNSW and i still got 20+ class hours per week, typically about 24 as Omie Jay mentioned even though you try to select different electives to minimise class time.

but please choose your major as soon as possible and enrol in the right electives, dont wait till the end of the year where you were tempted to choose the wrong electives.

mahdi

HSC
Thanks for all the replies. I was also wondering, i only did 2unit maths, but i did get a band 6. Should I/do I need to do the bridging course for ext 1 maths?

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
Thanks for all the replies. I was also wondering, i only did 2unit maths, but i did get a band 6. Should I/do I need to do the bridging course for ext 1 maths?
no, unless its free

yes i find that i have a lot of 'homework' on saturday and sunday. just because the weekend rolls over doesn't mean you have to stop doing projects for the group or finishing tutorials BUT i've never really tried to get it all done for the weekend.

Last edited:
HSC
N/A
if you can afford it.

complex numbers in 2 weeks wont be as daunting as you think if you stay focused, people fail because they dont keep up.

Geologist

HSC
Expect yourself to have no life other than engineering. I remember asking my physics lab partner in my 2nd week what people usually did on the weekends, and he gave me a real strange look and just said "study, you have to". Yeah but don't worry, you can have some real banging times getting high while studying math.

:rudolf:

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Expect yourself to have no life other than engineering. I remember asking my physics lab partner in my 2nd week what people usually did on the weekends, and he gave me a real strange look and just said "study, you have to". Yeah but don't worry, you can have some real banging times getting high while studying math.

hhahaha what.

micuzzo

HSC

so is this like, umm, true?

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
no its possible to have a life while undertaking an engineering degree, just make sure you're good at managing your time :)

GINN

Banned
HSC
N/A
yeah, but its better to take 2 hour slots for nice big breaks than 1.

1 hour slots are frustrating that we have to go from mech eng building (mid campus) to the matthews pavilions (upper campus), wait in a fucking long line to have a salad and before even finishing talking about street fights and encounters, weve a lecture to go to...

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Hmm so ~24 contact hrs a week, so roughly ~5 hrs a day. That's alright ^_^

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
you skip alot of 'em, i assure you that lol

micuzzo

HSC
oh man, i herd UTS hav 3hour tutes for engo.

...i was hoping to bludge first yr uni

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)