How many notebooks? (1 Viewer)

Green Yoda

Hi Φ
HSC
Hey guys, how many notebooks should I get for year 11?

This is what im thinking as of now:
Maths: 4 books 128 pages, 2 for theory or class work and 2 for homework.
Physics: 2 books 128 pages, 1 for theory, 1 for notes.
Biology: 2 books 128 pages, 1 for theory, 1 for notes.
PDHPE: 2 books 128 pages, 1 for theory, 1 for notes.
English: Unsure here.. should i get 2 books? One for class notes and 1 for essay and stuff?
Legal: Unsure here too.

Here is the delimma;
Should i get like a 64 page book and keep the theory separate for each module for Physics, Biology and PDHPE? or just keep it the way it is.

P.S Should I buy a folder thing to keep separate worksheets for each subject?

Please give me any suggestions you can give.
Thanks

photastic

HSC
I definitely recommend purchasing a folder for worksheets otherwise they will spray everywhere. I would stick to your plan with the notebooks and just purchase more if you need to as you progress the year.

qwert73

HSC
for math you will only need 1 book for the theory for mx1 and 2u, you could even combine them and still have enough room. you would need 1-2 books for exercises for mx1 depending on your writing size and set out, for 2u you might need 2-3.

Also just keep all the theory in 1 book I reckon unless you think you will be better organised the other way.
Folders are also really good for carrying books in and for placing spare sheets.

helloimyellow

HSC
I found that I used my laptop for english, chem and geo and just organised it all on there. I had a folder for worksheets and handouts.

Maths I had 4 books, 1 theory and 1 homework for mx1 and mx2 each.

If your school doesn't allow laptops maybe try just 1 notebook/module for your sciences.

bangali

HSC
Display book to catch all the teacher's annoying handouts.

You might as well get a whole heap of notebooks tbh - probably like 30 lol - you can never get too many as you'll use them in life after HSC anyway. Start however you like in just a few of them and then play it by ear. You don't have to be perfectly organised from day 1 - you're certain to change your system at some point. If you find you have to transfer/rewrite your notes elsewhere, all the better, because that'll force you to revise and redigest and reorganise the information ;)

Out of curiosity, what's your distinction between 'notes' and 'theory'? (especially in bio and pdhpe)

Green Yoda

Hi Φ
HSC
Display book to catch all the teacher's annoying handouts.

You might as well get a whole heap of notebooks tbh - probably like 30 lol - you can never get too many as you'll use them in life after HSC anyway. Start however you like in just a few of them and then play it by ear. You don't have to be perfectly organised from day 1 - you're certain to change your system at some point. If you find you have to transfer/rewrite your notes elsewhere, all the better, because that'll force you to revise and redigest and reorganise the information ;)

Out of curiosity, what's your distinction between 'notes' and 'theory'? (especially in bio and pdhpe)
Hey, thanks for the suggestion! For me theory is basically what you do in class but notes is organised dot to dot point notes from the syllabus.

bangali

HSC
Hey, thanks for the suggestion! For me theory is basically what you do in class but notes is organised dot to dot point notes from the syllabus.
Hmm yeah, those notes are ones I'd probably do on a computer if that's feasible for you. Purely because you can keep easily updating them and combining information from multiple sources (which is the art of great notes - drawing thousands of little puzzle pieces of information from different parts and fitting them together). You can't keep adding or subtracting information in a notebook without making it super cluttered and hard to read (and thus learn). Obviously this is with theory-based subjects like Bio, Legal and PDHPE, not maths. It also means you can more easily split it up into separate modules.

You don't *need* notebooks for things like English; I found looseleaf paper for each essay worked, and I then put each essay in a leaf of a clear display folder. For Eng you may want separate notebooks (or word docs) for each module.

As I said, I wouldn't stress about having too many notebooks or not fully filling up a large notebook - overdo rather than underdo.

DepressedPenguino

HSC
Legit i had just 1 book for every subject (except for maths where i went bought more when they ran out due to hw)

Green Yoda

Hi Φ
HSC
For year 10 I used up 4 and a bit 128 page notebooks...hw and class work included...16 chapters. I presume that yr 11 should have more work.

bangali

HSC
For year 10 I used up 4 and a bit 128 page notebooks...hw and class work included...16 chapters. I presume that yr 11 should have more work.
Probably it will, but feel free to be flexible. Play it by ear and see how it goes, it really doesn't matter given that they're not expensive :p

blackbird_14

HSC
For maths I use 64 page books for theory and 128 page books for class work/revision. I like it that way so it's easy to find where notes are for topics as each book can't have more than 3 topics in it at once. It also cuts down on how much unnesscary paper you have to take to school if you use smaller books.

Personally, I use loose leaf paper over books, but everyone has their different ways. Depending on your teacher, you might get a lot of sheets- in which case I strongly recommend you get a folder (display or ring binder) because there's no point pasting in 100+ sheets each term (that was my teacher prelim bio). On the other hand, teachers that write everything up its probably better to use a book otherwise sheets start flying everywhere (ok not literally- my teacher prelim chem).

And a not: don't bother writing essays on reinforced loose leaf paper- reinforced is so much more expensive than loose leaf or a book, and honestly, it doesn't have to look pretty! (If you want pretty go type it up)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)