How many of you enjoy HSC english? (1 Viewer)

Stand by me here...

• Total voters

P_Dilemma

Extraordinary Entertainer
HSC
To keep this simple, i'm just going to have to look at the extremes...

There are some who like HSC english and the way english is taught, and there are those that dont. *Draws a line in the sand*. Those of you who like it, who, when asked "what about those who don't like it / fail", think "STFU", stand on the right. Those who think that those on the right are complete airheaded bozos, kindly stand to the left.

Then tell me why. If you can. Muhaha.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
English is just not my thing, never really enjoyed it and would not choose to do it if wasn't compulsory.

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
Enjoy +1
- Great teacher.
- Good marks.

Last edited:

sando

HSC IS EVIL
HSC
i only hate it cos i get bad marks

passion89

HSC
Imaginative journeys is the stupidest thing I've ever heard of (this attitude is more accurately explained by my marks)

but I did enjoy the BNW/BR module (which is again more accurately explained by my marks :))

priesty

formerly wm_abusef
HSC
i agree with hopeles5ly in that I like HSC English due to havin an AWESOME teacher and im getting semi-decent marks for it (better than English durin the junior years lol)

i enjoyed In the Wild. Imaginative Journeys is interesting and allows me to expand my lateral thinking. Frontline n Harwood should be eqaully fun.

poopoohead

HSC
kill me

english is stupid

HSC is stupid

whats the point of journeys? whats the point in harwood or any of the crap that we have to learn???

robo-andie

HSC
I really enjoy English.
I have both an awesome teacher, and decent marks.
The Coleridge poems were definitely the best part of the 'Journeys' module, similarily reading Brave New World was my favourite part of 'In The Wild'.
We've just begun a comparison of Abraham Lincolns' "Government of the people, by the people, for the people" and Paul Keatings' "Funeral service of the Unknown Australian Soldier". To my surprise, I am also enjoying this. I have a feeling I enjoy English a little more than is healthy. :worried:

P

pLuvia

It's ok now that we're doing Mod A, but overall wouldn't do it if I didn't have to

Gangels

HSC
I dont think people who enjoy it are stupid, i just dont like english, well the way they teach it anyway.

What they teach is a useful skill, but its the same thing every year, poetry, analysis, Essay. I cant stand it anymore. If only i were smart or not stupid, i'd probably enjoy it.:)

snowbunny

HSC
hate it... its terribly taught, it basically has no point ( i mean shakespeare? ) and i have a maths brain, not an english brain so it doesnt come to me naturally

jameso7

HSC
I actually enjoy it. I went through the rest of high school hating english and being absolutely terrible at it, not understanding anything. But for some reason, when we started the hsc course, I just "got it" and it was fine. I have no idea why, but it seems to be a lot clearer now.

s2indie

HSC
I don't like it, I just don't really understand the point of analysing everything to its core.

HSC
N/A
Whilst I don't mind english I have some HUGE issues with the Eng Adv syllabus. It's not that I don't like it, I just have almost a total lack of respect for it.

I think at heart the idea was good... but ultimately I feel (particularly in recent years) that either the syllabus or the teachers themselves are going overboard with the terminology and hardcore concepts/theories/whathaveyou in an attempt to get students up to par with EE1/uni levels to give them an advantage/better marks = higher UAI.

What they seem to have forgotten is that EE1 only has to deal with one module, and even at Uni, you tend to look at one "thing" (usually a genre) per semester. In Eng Adv, you get one year for THREE modules, and usually they have absolutely no correlation with each other. Considering the fact that your fourth term is usually reserved for trials/HSC study, this pans out into one module per term - that's 10 weeks each.

Admittedly that's quite similar to how it's done in uni, however we have an advantage - we tend to cover things in great detail and aren't as obsessed with reciting terminology the way HSC students are taught to. Do the majority of HSC students have time to learn all that crazy terminology/concepts, and actually understand it by the time the exams come around? No. Can a lot of them get screwed over in uni because all they know is to go on a spiel about the techniques Shakespeare used in Hamlet, how personal context affected Harwood's poetry, etc etc? Oh yes.

It's so disappointing to learn, as a uni student, that you might know some texts in great "detail", however you don't actually "know" those concepts and techniques well enough to apply them to other texts. In essence, so much of it is just regurgitation... (ie where do you know all these "facts" from? Because your teacher told you to write it down in an essay, that's why) there's little scope for actual learning.

I do think some modules are written well/chose their texts carefully to promote understanding rather than pure regurgitation (such as the choice of "Birthday Letters") as they make you think, but other modules and a number of teachers are all about 'write down what I tell you to'/"you have two options - be an idiot, or look at it from only ONE perspective" other than encouraging the students to be able to express what THEY actually think about the texts.

Last edited:

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
I loved English all the way through High School - of course, both my parents have backgrounds in teaching English so that probably helped lol! The English syllabus is far from perfect I agree - and so do a lot of teachers - but it's far from useless too. Yes, high school English and English at university is very different, however let's not forget that the HSC English syllabus is not designed to prepare you for entering university. You take on new skills when you get there.

HSC
N/A
I know it's not designed to prepare you for entering university, but a lot of it just seems... unneccessary :( Very "criteria-checklist" rather than anything else (although that could be said of so many HSC subjects, I guess...)

ane_st

HSC
hopeles5ly said:
Enjoy +1
- Great teacher.
- Good marks.
I agree with you, i have a great teacher (in my opinion), and i really like what modules we're doing.. & am doing suprisingly well in it...

k_stroud22

UAI 2006 83.70
HSC
well...its ok but i wouldn't say it was my best subject...probably chem or geography is! i'm more of a science-y type person. my teacher is ok i suppose..but we get so many in-class essays from him, averaging like a 1500 word essay per 1 or 2 weeks!! but if i could drop it..i probably would!

DonnaLily

HSC
Absolutely HATE it. I'm not fond of the class at all. I find, that no matter how much I'm trying, putting effort in and asking for help, it's not showing. I want to love English like I did in junior years, but it's never continued into senior school English.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)