How many prescribed texts do we HAVE to have? (1 Viewer)

HSC
N/A
To my knowledge, we've studied three, but only really NEED to have 2, and the third as a backup in the rare event that we need three.

What have you guys been told? I would love nothing better than to completely ignore Shipping News, because I can't stand the darn thing... but do I need it?

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
same thing. plus two extra texts. three if you really want to do two films. That's what our school said

HSC
N/A
So in addition to my two related texts, I only really need to have 2 prescribed?

HSC
N/A
Is that a yes? Or a no? *freaks out*

sorry, I'm quite frazzled at the moment. You have to talk to me in baby-language to make sure I understand it.

busterblues

04 Info Tech First in HSC
HSC
Dont fret!

I have been told by my Extension 1 teacher...who has been teaching it for many many years now...that we will only be asked in a responce to refer to TWO prescribed texts and texts of our own choosing.

Since texts as you know is a plural...it means more than one. So there is nothing stopping you from just using two.

You can use more if you want....but you will only be wasting time, cause you need to go fairly in depth with your responces on your texts and having more to write about isnt going to help you.

You will be totally fine...just think of Extension English as English Advanced...with a bit more...just one unit more...thats it! :)

Skillo

is in a theatre near you
In my blue-light backstage hovel, the theatre.
HSC
They can ask a question just related to the prescribed three texts...that's what I've been told. You don't want to be caught short...and its best to learn all 3 especially if they ask you a total arse of a question

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
I studied all 4 (the 4th on my own). Best to be prepared ...

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
The point of english extension is that it's an extension of english - thus wide reading. I'm sure they'll ask AT LEAST ONE more outside text, but yeah. Do two to show how brilliant you are

waterfowl

HSC
My teacher said that it is good to at least know all three in (the unlikely) case that the question could be "In relation to your three prescribed texts..."
I am going to study two of my prescribed texts in detail and a couple of poems from my third prescibed text (Browning). And then of course my two extra texts (one of which I also use for Advanced).

katy12345

Please Help

aaaah i really need to know: can our additional material be on the prescribed list????
The Life and Ctimes of Harry Lavender is one of my additionals but it is also on the prescribed list. PLEASE tell me if this is ok, someone who knows. the HSC line is shut till 4pm!!!

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
yeh, 2 prescribed and 2 of your own
try and make them all different mediums too

cheeky_panda

HSC
katy5063 said:
aaaah i really need to know: can our additional material be on the prescribed list????
The Life and Ctimes of Harry Lavender is one of my additionals but it is also on the prescribed list. PLEASE tell me if this is ok, someone who knows. the HSC line is shut till 4pm!!!

This is fine as long as they don't say "other texts besides your presscribed texts," but if they say other texts of you own choosing its fine.

Veck

glitterfairy said:
So in addition to my two related texts, I only really need to have 2 prescribed?
hmm depends what module you're doing, personally I don't think you can trace the evolution of crime fiction in four texts.. so I'm doing two prescribed (because I hate The Skull Beneath the Skin) and about five relateds, three novels, two short stories.

I remember at the start of the course the teachers telling us that we needed to read at least 'one novel a week to be fully prepared'.. haha extension english is such a wank :D

mathock

HSC
i am doing rftg, i have my 3 prescribed texts (heaney, shipping news, the castle) and 2 related: an sbs doco on theexploitation of the people of appalachia through photography, and a short story by alastair mcleod (who also wrote lost salt gift of blood, another prescribed text for rftg) im focussing more on the 3 main texts and the 2 related will just be there to support my points

thats the plan anyway... i hate extension :(

cynical

katy5063 said:
I got told that you aren't allowed to use texts that are in the syllabus for related material.. for instance I couldn't use Enders Game as a supplementary because Standard English has it as a text..
Don't know if that helps :S

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
I can't impress on you enough how important it is to have LOTS of texts, many of which may NEVER make it to your final answer. If you get a specific question (see the 2002 Crime Fiction Essay question) then some of your texts may not fit very well. I ended up using ~4 ADDITIONAL texts in the exam, and due to the extact nature of the question I name dropped around another 6.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)