How many quotes are you doing for AOS essay? (1 Viewer)

HSC
N/A
I have just written out a practice essay and I have 15 quotes, and 28 techniques. I also mention the question 17 times throughout the essay (not the full question, just parts of it!!!)

I was just wondering if these are enough quotes and techniques, or if I've over done it and I need to pull some... IDK!!!!

Haha! Good luck everyone! WE ARE SO CLOSE!

Please tell me how many quotes/techs you are doing so we can compare and get these band 6s!

Ella xx

Memphis Depay

HSC
Good amount of techniques. I don't know why you're counting the amount of times you are going to refer back to the question, it should flow within your essay haha (imo).

chiefpasco

HSC
mate I'm not gonna use more than 7 total quotes
I think OP is overkilling it. If they have already written a practice essay using all these "15 quotes" and techniques, all within 40 mins, and not made it look like they just shitdumped everything, then great. 7 quotes or there abouts is fine. I will be doing that.

chiefpasco

HSC
I have just written out a practice essay and I have 15 quotes, and 28 techniques. I also mention the question 17 times throughout the essay (not the full question, just parts of it!!!)

I was just wondering if these are enough quotes and techniques, or if I've over done it and I need to pull some... IDK!!!!

Haha! Good luck everyone! WE ARE SO CLOSE!

Please tell me how many quotes/techs you are doing so we can compare and get these band 6s!

Ella xx
These are not things markers will be looking at with a fine comb. I read somewhere on here that markers are supposed to mark an essay every 5 minutes (probably a little longer, but not by much), so they'd probably be more inclined to award more marks to an essay that effectivley addresses the question and flows well, because it's easier to read. I could be wrong.

Flop21

HSC
I think OP is overkilling it. If they have already written a practice essay using all these "15 quotes" and techniques, all within 40 mins, and not made it look like they just shitdumped everything, then great. 7 quotes or there abouts is fine. I will be doing that.
Not really. It depends, a lot of people integrate their quotes really well and don't just vomit out one big long quote but multiple short quotes.

boredofstudiesuser1

HSC
Are we able to discuss the exam on the day it was done? Or do you have to wait for the people who are away to finish it?

HSC2016_

HSC
I am going to 4 for each of my 4 paragraphs(excluding intro and con) with explanations and analysis. Is this bad or good, little or too much?

Last edited:

kashkow

HSC
My teacher said AT LEAST 1 per body paragraph (quote or evidence - such as a scene).

In response to the above post (HSC2016_) I think that would be okay but you'd have to be able to talk about the quote in enough detail.

Also in response to OP I think that'd be fine if their really short quotes like a single word and you've integrated it into the essay. But if they're sentence - paragraph quotes that may be a bit much (you may not have enough time and it may take up a lot of your essay, and not enough analysis). I wouldn't overload on quotes in the essay itself for the sake of it (unless you go into talking about them all) since as I said, at least 1 is enough. But I think if you have that many and you analyse some of the major ones and some are just single word quotes that are integrated well, that's fine.

I think I'll probably do a bit more than 1 quote a paragraph, maybe one or two major ones and some minor single-word or few-word quotes to show understanding of the text. Though I'll probably memorise more so I have more available at my disposal.

Edit: woops just realised HSC2016_ you mean 4 per paragraph? My advice was taking into account that you were doing 1 for each paragraph...

Last edited:

KingOfActing

lukewarm mess
HSC
this makes me feel more secure tbh. do you ever break up your quotes btw as in specific words used, or phrases, or do you rather use near entire sentences?
Although the recent trend has been to use really short quotes, I prefer longer, more substantial quotes.

I'll take a sentence and replace parts that aren't necessary for my analysis with [...], then analyse the quote as a whole and maybe focus on a smaller section to further push a point.

chiefpasco

HSC
Although the recent trend has been to use really short quotes, I prefer longer, more substantial quotes.

I'll take a sentence and replace parts that aren't necessary for my analysis with [...], then analyse the quote as a whole and maybe focus on a smaller section to further push a point.
Most exemplars I have read do this.

Jakulore

HSC
If I write about 2 themes in AOS should I split the paragraphs up by text? Some teachers prefer if I do that whilst others prefer that I have huge paragraphs that encompass all texts relating to that theme.

Flop21

HSC
If I write about 2 themes in AOS should I split the paragraphs up by text? Some teachers prefer if I do that whilst others prefer that I have huge paragraphs that encompass all texts relating to that theme.
I think I used to go: topic 1: text 1 then text 2... topic 2: text 1 then text 2. In separate paragraphs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)